Friday 31 January 2020

January, done and dusted!

Hello lovely, Lovelies and Happy Friday!

Can someone please tell me where January went? Were we not just celebrating the Silly Season and galavanting about the countryside enjoying our holiday festivities? On social media I see loads of memes joking about January being 12 months long and I guess if you're skint after all the gifting then it can feel that way, right? However, for me at least, it seems as if time is flying by uncomfortably quickly! I've been deliberately trying to sloooooooow right down and that helps but I've identified one time stealer, aaargh and it's CROCHET!

For example: when I read a book or even a magazine, especially if it's all-absorbing I'll look at the clock and see that time has barely moved forward. Much like dreaming, when you're pulled into a compelling narrative, time expands. When I crochet, I may have completed a few short rows which to my mind took " only a few minutes " yet, the clock has whizzed forward two hours! Time is tricky, that's for sure.

As a recovering Chronically Very Busy Person with the Attention Span of a Fruit Fly, I've identified a few things that definitely help to slow down my perception of time flying by:

💚Do one thing at a time and do it until it's completed ( SO MUCH harder than it sounds especially for Multitaskers ).
💚Prioritise Tasks. Feeling overwhelmed and rushed for time...steals time. Learn to delegate. This lesson is hard but very important, especially for us Women who often feel that we need to do everything or it will never get done. If no one will help, lower your standards.😄
💚If possible, take an afternoon nap ( this gifts you an extra few hours into the night, which extends your day tadaaaaa! ).
💚Weather and shelter permitting, eat breakfast, lunch or dinner al fresco ( savour and enjoy your meals outside...NO CELLPHONES, unless you're a Doctor ).
💚Step away from social media, especially if you're not purposefully engaging. Mindless scrolling is a time stealer!
💚Create pleasant daily rituals. I like to light candles and tea lights, even in Summer.
HERE are 127 Ideas if you can't think of any.
💚Adopt or participate in a physically engaging exercise ( gardening counts! ). Have you noticed how it takes three whole hours to get through a gruelling half-hour routine? But you don't have to suffer. I walk every day and my hour-long walk stretches out like a rubber band because I'm fully engaged with and exploring the environment. Back in my car, driving home, my rubber-band time warp snaps back to reality. I realise only an hour has passed by. Walking for the win!

I want to say "Stop Crocheting" because time whizzzzzzzes by when you do ( I can't count the number of pots of burnt rice that attest to this )...but ...well, that's never going to happen, right? All the more reason to cut back on time stealers and adopt time makers.

On this topic of slow life, if you worked through The Artist's Way then you will love this book by Julia Cameron called Walking in This World. Both books changed my life so they come Highly Recommended.


Taking a few moments to appreciate our walk. A time slowing sound bite.



Stopped and spotted, on our walk, this extraordinarily beautiful exotic trumpet-like flower! I wouldn't have noticed it if I was hurriedly marching along. 
Can anyone identify it? 



Some of you Lovelies may have seen my little post on Instagram about painted stones? I especially choose places to "hide" them on our walks, places that are not terribly easy to spot. It must feel like a  💥Big Surprise💥 to find one or it's no fun for the Finder, right? Making these slowed time.




I forgot to take a pic of the first one I hid ( it's been claimed! ). Today I'll see whether STAND TALL found a home. If it has, then I'll hide another. You probably think I'm bonkers but I am getting an inordinate amount of fun and pleasure from doing this!

On another floral note, I made a garden nook on my verandah using a pallet. I kill houseplants so my personal challenge is to not murder ( with love ) these shade-loving beauties. Wish me luck. Making this little nook and taking care of it, is a time- slowing mindful practice. I still need to get some pretty pots! Then delegate the task to Mr HooksnTales of attaching the pallet to the wall seeing as I'm not sure my late Father-In-Laws walking cane will last as a prop. But having known the stoic man, it will probably last forever!

The Flowers I Chose.
Bottom Left: 1 x Alstroemeria ( aka Lily of the Incas or Peruvian Lily ). Second and Top Shelf Left: 2 x White + 1 x Pink Begonias, Right: 2 x Fuschias. The rest are recovering- almost- murdered indoor plants which I am willing back to life.


Then I added a few little bits of kitchenalia and other thingies to the display.









You're probably wondering if I'm ever going to talk Crochet? In a sense, my floral world is all about crochet and crochet is about the floral world seeing as Flowers are always what inspires me most.

If you've been on other social media you'll have seen my post about the Scheepjes Secret Garden yarn? Oh my, I absolutely loved working with this yarn while hooking up a simple Granny Square blanket. It's a cotton-silk-polyester blend in gorgeously romantic colours! Sadly, it's only available here in South Africa from Be Inspired and way too expensive for my purse. But I was gifted one ball of each colour which made me feel terribly lucky and rich inside. 😊



And on that note, our new GIVEAWAY is this pretty and interesting pattern by Jane Crowfoot called The Janis Floral Wrap. All you need to do to participate is leave a comment below in the comments section, with your Ravelry name! Easy peasy!

💗To the three Lucky Winners of our last Giveaway, CONGRATULATIONS! 💗

In my next blog post, I will be able to share some more information on the upcoming Green Tea Throw ( yarn + colourway...and a sneak peek! ) which will be released, in full, on 1 May 2020.

Lovelies, I wish you a wonderfully slow and luxurious weekend.
If it starts getting hectic, take a deep breath, say NO, make yourself your favourite beverage and remind yourself that self-care is just as important as any other care required to preserve something precious.

💗 Jen

21 comments:

  1. Jen, so true about social media being a time thief!! I'm also trying to limit my fb time.

    Your pallet garden is gorgeous and inspiring. And so a your painted stones, what a lovely thought and kind gift for someone who chances upon it.

    Yippee, great news about Green Tea and absolutely perfect timing - the release is on my birthday, what a precious gift. I'm eagerly anticipating your next post to start collecting yarn for what I'm sure will be a really stunning throw.
    Regards
    René (Goffel)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene, you have more faith in my design ability that I do, so THANK You for your confidence in me! I'm on Rnd 30 of the block and so far I'm loving it. You gotta love your work or it never works out, right? I'm so happy the release is on your B'day, that's awesome! I hope you have a lovely weekend! Btw, have you seen the Butterflies migrating? xox

      Delete
  2. They call it Angels trumpet here, latin name Brugmansia, love them. Too toxic (solanales or nightshade family) for my cats and chicken so not in my garden though I love them. Can become big trees! As they're not frost resistat in winter have to be inside to rest. Love the stone story and that you are participating. Time, I've to little and to much. I'm not on social media or gaming, my sons loose time all the time by gaming. I've the new desease here in medical country called the "shit" phones. Really, the toilet became the phone boot of this age including the listeria it brings into the hospital. I remember the don't wear jewelry in the OK action but now we need was your hands and desinfect your phone actions. Djees. Plus, missing a person for a long time ends in a knock on the toiletdoor. I guess you can read between the lines I'm not fond of over use of phones. Miss the long walks, oh well, hope that will come in the near future. Love your ideas and advise. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Tineke. I thought it was a Trumpet of one sort or the other, and you're right, like many of these exotic looking plants with fabulous flowers, they are usually poisonous. This was groing in the wild so I guess the wild will take care of it one way or the other. Omg, your phone toilet story is a nightmare! Who would have thought this would be our "advanced" civilisation in 2020! But it did make me laugh! :D Happy weekend and I hope you get that walk! xox

      Delete
  3. Jen,it's great to see you kicking back and relaxing with the things that you love the most.The past year was so hectic with the huge amount of designs released and you deserve a break to relax and recharge your batteries.Its also a great opportunity for us Hooks'nTales devotees to play catch up on all of your beautiful patterns.As usual, thanks for the journey into your wonderful world Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2019 was indeed an incredibly full year crochetwise and otherwise too. I think I learned my lesson because I became very grumpy towards the end. :D So far I've been very good at not getting overwhelmed...but then again, it's only just gone January. The test will be to see if I can sustain this "new year, new me" until December. :D Hope you have a FAB weekend, with plenty of feet up crochet out time. HUGS! xx

      Delete
  4. As always, I love your blog post. Great way to start my Friday. Ravelry name:lenaknits
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy weekend, Lena and thank you for your kind words! I try! Sometimes I really have to put a lot of other "news" aside or the posts would quickly become a small book! :D xx

      Delete
  5. Your outlook and thoughts on life and self-care are goals everyone can aspire to! And your designs reflect this ... you have instilled the live of crochet for me ... thank you! You should write an inspirational book! Looking forward to your future inspirations ... in crochet and musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for thinking I could write a book! :D These are just my little thoughts based entirely on trying to survive and thrive in a mad country and a mad world! Crochet helps, A LOT! I hope you weekend is going well and that you are doing things that make you feel good? I'm cleaning and organising my little craft room which seems to get very muddled very quickly. Sorting out the muddles definitely lifts my mood!:D xx

      Delete
  6. Jen wishing you a Happy New Month of Feb. I too wonder where time fly's, I might sit in the front of the window. Vic has build a glass window istead of a wall in the kitchen, so I can see and watch the sun rise and sun set, the mountain on one side and the green valley ect. When I do sit there time goes by very fast. Love your photos on your blog. Kick back and relax you deserve it. This month we had such bad weather the winds were very high speed, and we were with out electricity for 2 weeks and still they keep cuting it to fix more poles. Hug's xxx
    Ravelry name wisdom61

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I read your messages, Sofia, you take me back to my adventures in Greece and the islands. I will never forget the beauty of it all. PLEASE, start a little Blog and share your island life with us? I for one would be your biggest fan! We are also having electricity problems here in darkest Africa but I enjoy boiling the kettle and cooking on our gas hob and lighting candles around the house. The neighbourhood becomes so quiet. I hope the wind has settled down a bit on your island and that you are enjoying a lovely weekend with Vic and your Family ( how is little George doing? ). xox

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed reading your blog. Cant believe that January is gone. Read this somewhere today..... We cannot control when and how we are going to die, but we can control how we are going to spend our time.
    Ravelry name is : Kapenaar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! Life is for the living and it really is a precious gift worth protecting and nurturing with all that is good for us body, mind and soul. :) xx

      Delete
  8. I love diffusing some essential oils, like your candles, they help me feel present in my surroundings.

    My Rav user name is sarahgough ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a great idea...the power of essential oils. One of my night time rituals is sprinkling Lavender oil on my pillows. Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  9. January was a challenge indeed. Some sage advice in this blog post thank you! Have a creative and very blessed February xxx
    Rav name Azelee :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear your January was challenging, Charmaine! It does seem to be a month of recovery for so many us in all sorts of ways. Here's to a FABULOUS February filled with all good things. :D xox

      Delete
  10. Hi Jen, I know all about those pots of rice and mindless scrolling. Love your garden nook, just talk to them, or sing to them, they definately listen. Have quite a few plants in my garden that I spoke to and told them if they were not flowering out they go. They are all floweriing beautifully. lol. Enjoy the last month of summer, really happy Autumn and Winter is on the way. Ravelry Name :Jennyfive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely talk to my plants! A few have not made it in the past so maybe I need to talk about something else? :D Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  11. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any Credit cards machine with a hacked Credit cards??
    Make up your mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank Credit cards now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address:: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed Credits Cards that can be use to hack Credit cards Machines
    Nation Wide, the Credits Cards can be used to withdraw at any Credits Cards or swipe Machines, at
    Stores and POS Machines. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the Credit Card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 at any Credit cards Machines
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for. Credits Cards Can also be used in any other cyber hack{Services}, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the Credits Cards:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $450 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD


    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com} Or
    Add us on Whatsapp [+2349052476836]

    ReplyDelete