Friday 13 December 2019

Lights on, then off, then on: Part 1

Gosh, Lovelies it's been a whole month since I last popped in here!
I hope you are all doing well in Crochetland?

It feels very much like returning to a favourite hideaway spot. I love my little Blog that was home when I first arrived in Crochetland. Back then, in 2015, it was just me, myself and I, with a suitcase of crochet ideas swirling about in my head. I had no clue that in the not too distant future I would be meeting so many other like-minded Crochetlandians. Or that some would become friends who I have come to appreciate so much. Or that I would become a citizen of Ravelrylandia and Lovecraftsia too. Mr HooksnTales always reminds me that life is full of good surprises and just this once, I'll admit that he's right.

Since I last posted, I've made several attempts to Blog but many, many unexpected things got in the way. Rolling power outages for one! There was also a Xmas Tree and decorating involved. I don't care that it is Midsummer here. Or that our traditional pastime over the Festive Season involves flip-flops, swimming pools, buckets of iced-drinks, outside BBQ's, sunscreen, salads and sunburn! I am going to well and truly water my wintery European ancestral roots. It's in my blood, literally!

While I'm on the subject of Summer Heat...this situation... pretty much with all the Fur-Babies!


Roxy and I have been enjoying our daily walks at our beloved suburban green belt, the Alphen Trail. The water is still running in the stream, which is surprising seeing as it hasn't rained in weeks.





I don't know about you but I'm a human Magpie on walks! I have to collect All. The. Things. Yesterday it was these bushy-tailed grasses! Aren't they just adorable!?


And on the subject of collecting things. I ordered two pairs of much-longed-for embroidery scissors from Be Inspired. A Christmas prezzie to myself. I had a real problem overcoming my reluctance to actually put them to use because they are so pretty! Lesson: USE THE PRETTY THINGS!


In keeping with my Summer Hygge attempts, I've been working outside on cooler mornings, under the shade of our verandah roof. Thing is, I keep getting distracted by the Birds and the Bees! I see now why office blocks and cubicles were created. As a species, we are easily distracted! 



Anyhow...so out comes the Tree, and the little box of ornaments ( passed down from my late Irish Mom in Law). I light candles every night ( on gloomy days too ). I watch Christmas movies on Netflix ( last night it was Home For Christmas, in Norwegian, with subtitles of course ) and Vlogmas's ( Potter and Bloom, Nordic Stitches and Crafternoon Treats ).

At the beginning of December, I attach a festive wreath to our front door. It's this celebration especially ( and Easter ) that makes me reflect on and feel close to my mixed English, Scots, Danish and Dutch roots. I am fiercely and proudly South African and I love my country deeply, all the more for its incredible people who are woven together like a precious cloth. But it's our diversity that makes the experience of being South African so immensely rich. Especially how we celebrate our unique traditions.



I'm going to wish you a very merry Christmas in 10 of our 11 official languages:

Afrikaans: Gesëende Kersfees
IsiNdebele: Ukresimusi omnandi
Sesotho: Keresemese e monate
Northern Sotho: Mahlogonolo a Keresemose
Setswana: Masego a Keresemose
SiSwati: Khisimusi lomuhle
Xitsonga: A ku ve Khisimusi lerinene
Tshivenda: D’uvha la mabebo a Murena l’avhudi
IsiXhosa: Krisimesi emnandi
IsiZulu: Ukhisimusi omuhle


Tongue twisters right? 😀


In Part 2 I'll share a little of what I've been making, what 2020 will look like, design-wise and a new GIVEAWAY!

See you then!
💓Jen




19 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, it feels like I've returned home now that there's a new Tale to read. I look forward to hearing all about the fun things that happen in Hooks'nTales Land and I m going to imagine the beautiful waterfall from Roxie's walk while I battle the Aussie heatwave we have this weekend.But first, I think I need to go shopping for some new Gorgeous scissors.
    Thanks Jen for sharing such a tempting pic Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to report, Noelene, that these scissors cut with such precision. I have a few pairs of cheapies which work well but these beauties really make you see what you've missed. I am actually quite in love with them!:D Our little waterfall is a godsend through Summer and the pivotal dog meeting spot of the walk. :D I could watch them play all day! xx

      Delete
    2. Hi Jen, my daughter is now in South Africa attending an epidemiology modeling and analysis workshop. She told me how beautiful your country is and how privileged she is to visit South Africa. All of this happened because I completed the Amanzi throw and labeled it as "The colors of South Africa"!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen, From this part of the world!
    Our Christmas tree is done and we wait our Londoner daughter next week....so Christmas will be great.
    I still have a week of teaching and then a week free (I hope). Not to much crochet these days (as I would like) but I am collecting all the patterns for days to come (when I retired)....
    Thanks for your post and the beautiful projects. I look forward for the next.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Christmas sounds like it's going to be lovely, Ana! The last time I was in PT was over Christmas and it was amazing. I hope your teaching week whizzes by quickly, so that you can enjoy your festive celebrations. Best wishes to you and your Fam.xox

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous scissors! And Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know , right? I'd been looking for them everywhere but could only find them online with companies that would have to ship them overseas to me. A wait of at least 6 months have passed.I searched online companies here in South Africa and no luck until a birdie whispered in my ear that Be Inspired might have them...and they did! I think they were the last two! :D

      Delete
  4. Ah. Summer and Xmas. Those roots eh.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and it feels weird even though I'm a 5th generation born and bred South African. It's all in the blood, Tineke! :D xx

      Delete
  5. How lovely to read your adventures again! And how nice to remember when I still lived in Brazil and had Christmas being celebrated in the summer...❄️☀️☃️☀️❄️
    Merry, Merry Christmas to you , Dear Jen, from The Netherlands!♥️🎄♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know how challenging it is, my dear!:D It was great as a kid...in the pool all day while the Parents are left with the challenge of making a " white xmas "... :D In spite of the heat it's still a big thing here and people do go all out to make it as festive and traditional as possible. xx

      Delete
  6. Thankyou for giving us a glimpse of life in South Africa- it is somewhat blustery and quite cold here in England this morning but the presents are bought and wrapped, warm mince pies and brandy coffee are being consumed and log burner is lit. Love the scissors and feel sure many of your followers will be buying these! Hope you have a very merry Christmas in Crochetland creating even more yummy projects for us to enjoy ��������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Ooo, Diane, your Christmas preparations sound yummy and the weather perfectly blustery and cold. Crochet weather right? If I had a warm brandy coffee right now I'd probably burst into flame! :D Our local bakery has excellent Christmas mince pies and it seems from year to year the local shops and delis try to outdo each other on that. We always warm them up too no matter the temperature outside...with a side of cold cream or ice-cream.
      Happy Holdidays! xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely, lovely post ... sigh ... I felt like I was in your home with you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Kris, thank you! I hope your festive season is going well? Even at the height of Summer, with all the kids living la vida loca eleswhere, I go all out to make the most of it. It drives the heat blues away while I wait for my favourite season, Winter.I promised myself to keep the complaining to a minimum and start celebrating each season for what it is ( mozzies and all! ). Hugs! :D xx

      Delete
  8. Have a great Christmas Jen and family, its very hot here in AUS and very smokey at our little home , getting a bit stir crazy really as the smoke doesnt agree with my old lungs. I have two new scnauzer puppies to keep me and hubby amused they are so cute and fluffy and a lot of fun. Our family is spread wide so Xmas will be a bit lonely, thank goodness for facetime.Looking forward to the new year and all it brings including new patterns. Have a wonderful time and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the seasons greetings, Christine! xx Is it smokey because of the recent wildfires? I've beem following the news about this and it's absolutely hearbreaking! Aw, PUPPIES, how adorable! I'm so tempted to get a Puppy but I'm not sure I can match their energy levels. Lol! Same here with Fam scattered across the globe...but as you say Facetime helps a bit. <3 All the very best to you and I hope you have a lovely festive season ( in spite of the heat and smoke ) xox

      Delete
  9. Ooooooooo, my favorite scissors, gifted to me by my very thoughtful (also a crocheted) cousin.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours. Christmas at my house this year has been cancelled...having lost my DH last year on 12/20, I am just not ready to make merry...Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are lovely scissors, Donna, I'm so glad you have a pair too! If I had all the money in the world I'd definitely gift every crafter with a pair! :D I know you're not up to making merry and this time of the year is definitely liberally sprinkled with sadness. I light the candles every morning in rememberance of those loved and lost. Very bittersweet time of the year, right? Sending you warm hugs and hope you have a blessed Christmas. Take good care of yourself! xox

    ReplyDelete