Thursday 13 June 2019

Cosmos Comfort

Hello, Lovelies, and Happy Friday!

Hope you are all well in your patch of Crochetland?

🌸🌸🌸

Here, in Cape Town, the weather has finally cooled off. And I am loving it! Rain, wind, hail, a bit of snow on the Mountains...bring it all on! I don't know about you but those Summer months seem to be getting hotter and hotter each year and for the first time ever I am seriously considering installing a proper cooling system in the house! But enough about Summer, which I know many of you welcome, and enjoy in the northern climes. Don't mind me complaining. Afterall I do live in Africa so I should just sit down, or move. 😊

As many of you already know the past few weeks have been quite an emotional roller coaster for me. There was our darling Alfie passing over the rainbow bridge but then, what I didn't mention, there was Oscar too! You know how it is in the Animal Rescue World...so many desperate little lives need to be saved and found a fur-ever home...so we did the right thing and three days after Alfie leaving us we adopted Oscar. He got a few tear baths I can tell you, but we decided that through the heartache over Alfie, Oscar, at least, would have a safe home. Sadly, a few days later he started coughing. Just our luck...he had contracted kennel cough at the shelter! The poor boy had to be sent back to the clinic and then back to the shelter where he has to stay until ALL the dogs have passed through the contagious period. A few days after Oscar left, our old Harry presented with kennel cough which he'd picked up from Oscar!

Oh my goodness....it's been a crazy few weeks! I am still surprised I finished PART 1 of the Hibiscus Tea Block Extension and ahead of schedule too!

Anyhow, enough about my furball woes, let's colour Friday! I need colour and crochet therapy now more than ever and when I came across this lovely image my heart just soared as it immediately made me think of my other life when I lived on the Highveld ( as opposed to THIS life where I live at sea level now ).




Every Autumn the veld would just burst into colour-fields of Cosmos flowers, especially along the roads and lanes where I lived out in the country. I would pick armfuls and fill old peanut butter jars, chipped teapots and metal buckets with these cheery wildflowers. Happy days, even though they wouldn't last long and created a mass of pollen dust and fallen petals. I didn't care, I loved them so!


Something else I wanted to share with you all. Maybe you're wondering why I'm chatting about Fur-babies, Cosmos and now, Moths...well it's all connected right, and also part of a very simple but universal equation. Nature + Heart = Endless Source of Inspiration. Which brings me to this: last week someone contacted me on Ravelry. Her complaint was that I chat too much on my Videos, which she found irritating. She wanted to crochet and get it done, not be sidetracked or slowed down by what appeared to be completely unrelated idle chatter. I felt so sad... not for myself, but for this person. We are all creative, in ways that are sometimes not registered. When we talk, we create pictures, we evoke memories, we connect to our common humanity through shared experiences and we do this via language. We create with words. It's sad to think that someone would consider me, or any other Crochet Designer or Designer/Creator of any kind simply a Retail Product. In our digitally driven technocracy I believe, now more than ever, that we should strive to share our common Human experiences. We are a Global Community and even though we may live in different parts of Crochetland and speak different languages, how we experience life, love, loss, sorrow, joy, pain or creating is a common theme that binds us all together. We can't separate Creativity from the Human Being. It's a package deal.

So, this is what I ACTUALLY wanted to share with you! Something I have never seen! A very rare sighting of an African Hummingbird Moth which I would have missed entirely if I hadn't been sitting on the front steps of my house, in a patch of Winter Sun, daydreaming up new patterns. Luckily I was able to quickly fetch my little point and shoot camera and record it ( a bit blurry, I was so excited! ).


Now, let's move on to our Friday GIVEAWAY! I am totally in love with Tatsiana's new creation The Fjell Cardigan ( find it HERE ). I think she is an amazing Designer and I hope I get a moment or 5000 to make this Cardie!



To stand a chance of being a Winner on this Giveaway just comment in the section below. Don't forget to add your Ravelry name!

Happy Friday and Happy Weekend, Yarnarinnas!
πŸ’— Jen

36 comments:

  1. What a tiny bird! It loves your flowers. Thank you for sharing your video with us!
    feeanns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon...it is in fact a Moth from the Hawk Moth family, but it looks so much like a Hummingbird! Isn't it just magical...like a Fairy! :D xx

      Delete
  2. I love cosmos! My mother and I shared a love of hummingbirds, however I moved to Australia 20 +years ago an no hummingbirds live here ☹️
    Shirley12345

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cosmos is such a lovely splash of colour on the African Highveld! I love it too! By the way, it's not a Bird but a Moth that looks very much like a Hummingbird! :-) xx

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, what a comment. GG of GG.com had a woman comment that was surprised people of colour knitted and crocheted too, what gave a storm of protest. Really. How come people don't have a device that shuts them up before they say something incredibly stupid and hurtful like these two did.I mean we do have those stupid wisdom teeth so way not a choking or something when we want to hurt eh. But goodness what a turmoil there in Hooks 'n Tales animal home! Give all those cuties a huge hug of us.We have those miracles too, humming bird moths. You can't focus on them so fast!I plant special flowers for them alone. Alas no Plumbago here. Way too cold.But one can wish ;>D I saw a testers cardi in white turquoise. Splendid crochet designer she is. So I try though you spoiled me already. Tinkel31 it is on Ravelry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are so right Tineke, that there is still so much beauty and kindness in the world which I always try to remind myself of when people say thoughtless, hurtful things. I will give the "cuties" a hug from Aunty Tineke! :D But DO LOOK OUT for those Moths in your garden, Tineke...apparently there have been over 1000 sightings of them in the UK alone...because of the warmer European Summers they are appearing in gardens on your side too! They love Lavender, Honeysuckle and Plumbago but also all flowering plants. xox

      Delete
  4. O wow, wonderfull capture of hummingbird!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a Hummingbird, Betsie but a Hummingbird Moth! Isn't it amazing!! :-) xx

      Delete
  5. I love the African hummingbird moth. Ravelry stace976

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen one but I fell in love immediately! :D xx

      Delete
  6. Aw, thanks so much for your kind and encouraging comment! I know, what a surprise when I saw that teeny creature...I've never seen anything like it before! As for the chatter...I'll explode if I can't express myself. Hahaha...and we don't want that now do we. Have an amazing w'end in beautiful Zululand! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. He can’t resist the beautiful flowers you’ve provided for him. Lovely creature and such a wonderful closeup - Thank you for sharing. I’m baby60 on Rav.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beauty surrounds us.. And positivity attract positivity maybe that is why you spotted the Hummingbird. I have never seen one in real but they are very cute, aren't they? I adore you and your videos, I like your chatter and that’s make you different.. Special.. A generous and kind soul... We often get to meet such people on our journey, I just make peace and move on.. She is unfortunate to have found your chit-chat irritating..
    Love & Respect to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jessica. There is still so much beauty, kindness and just plain ol' goodness in the World...if we choose to see it. :-) xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for brightening my Fridays and sharing both your creativity and life with us. I look out for your email in my inbox. Wilmien on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Wilmien! Happy w'end to you and happy crocheting! :-) xx

      Delete
  10. Big Hugs to you and all of your furbabies Jen and don't ever,ever change.We love you just the way you are Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, your words always warm my heart Noelene. I never in a million years ever imagined that I would find so much caring, encouragement and just plain fun in a Community of Crocheters! :D xox

      Delete
  11. Just wanted to say I love the way you make your videos. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel... it is what it is. Although I will try and not veer too much off course in the future! :D xx

      Delete
  12. Wow the moth is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I love the CARDI too. I'm shelleykrueger on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such a magical little creature! Of course, now I am looking for them everywhere! :D xx

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the video, occasionally we see Hummingbird Moths here in Central Texas;they are fascinating.
    To the one that felt you talked to much, she just needs to look else where.
    Love your post and chats. Nice to know what is happening in other parts of our world and that others share some of the same problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jean! We are all more similar than different. Ten years of travel taught me that. Wow, this adorable Moth is in Texas...and while I was researching it...I found out there have been over 1000 sightings of it in the UK!! Apparently because European Summers have got warmer! We live in a wonderful world! :-) xxx

      Delete
  14. Oops, this Jean V, forget my Ralvery name, Valerga.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm soo sorry to hear about your and your furbabies's heartaches. I lost my oldest and dog 6 weeks ago and I feel heartbroken. Even though I have two other furbabies he was SPECIAL and we had an AMAZING bond. Life will never be the same again but I also know that I will NEVER be without dog. Life wouldn't be worth living without them.
    What a sad comment you received. Personally I LOVE listening to other creative people, especially as I don't have too many around me in my everyday life. I just commented on www.sistersinstitch.com that I love their videos; it's like listening to a dear crocheting friend <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow that Moth! How special πŸ’–
    Big hugs and loves to you and your furbabies, what a trying time :( I do hope Oscar is well enough to come home soon... I have been seeing this cardigan all over fb and ravelry - it could inspire me to break out the knitting needles lol! Have a lovely weekend Jen, wonderful to have a blog again today! Lots of love!
    Ravelry name is Azelee

    ReplyDelete
  17. As interesting as that moth is, it would freak me out! I would NOT film it and I would run for the safety of indoors.

    Shame about someone who wants to complain about your labor of love. Hello, can we say you freely give of your time and resources to be helpful. I have a special word I call folks like that, but I am on your blog, so I will be polite!

    Lastly, so sad about the fur baby loss and then the doggie flu! Cats are too smart to catch that! My ravelry name is tracyfear, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahahaha...Tracey, I promise you, it was waaay cuter in real life, you would have been fascinated! Oh well, what can we say about people who try and bend the world to their will? It usually snaps back and ends up smacking them on the ass!I actually wondered whether the Cats would become part of the fur-baby sickroom, crickey...I don't know what I would have done then! Luckily ( touch wood ), they are all fine now, including old Harry. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. -a+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------






    So sorry to hear about your tails of woes but hope the worst is over and you have carefree days with them soon.
    Also, I feel so sad for the person who has complained about chatter on your videos, she must have a very different life from most of us. One of the magical things about crochet, or any craft, is chatting to others in other countries and sharing our lives a little. I know you won't but don't change and don't be self-conscious about chatting to us. Maybe she should find another forum and videos which are just detailing the stitches. Heigh Ho, you can't win 'em all! xxxxxxx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom indeed " you can't win them all". I think that's the bedrock of my life philosophy and why I just forge ahead doing my own thing. :D We have to please ourselves, right? xx

      Delete
  20. The coloring and design of this cardigan is exquisitely knitted and the over all flow of the design screams out YOU need to make me, if not in this muted look then a dark apple red with maroon, black or dark grey!

    ReplyDelete