Friday 12 April 2019

Mellow Morning, Mice and Mist.

Hello, Lovelies! Hope you are all well in Crochetland?

🌸🐭🌸

It's a misty morning here in the Cape of Storms ( sadly, no storms yet! ). Everything is blooming though, in anticipation of the coming Winter rains. Almost like an offering to the Rain Sprites, Proteas, Honeysuckle and Guara bushes display their jewel flowers against a backdrop of Table Mountain (shrouded in moody rain clouds) imploring the drops to fall. But so far, nothing.

I want to introduce you to Mary Walker, an absolutely amazing local photographer who lives in Riebeek-Kasteel ( where we often escape to our off-grid housey ). She's been very busy capturing the wildlife goings on at this time of the year and managed to snap this wee Mouse munching away on fresh Guara flowers ( aka Beeblossoms ). I have loads growing in my urban garden but I've yet to see a Guara munching Mousie!





From March in almost every Cape garden you'll find these adorable little birds, the Southern Double-Collared Sunbird! They arrive in large groups at the end of Summer and stay for at least 6-months. They flit among the Honeysuckle hedge right outside my studio window! I forget all about my crochet then!

Again, Mary Walker has captured a perfect image!


I know that in the Northern Hemisphere you are all waking from your Winter hibernation, while we down South begin the joyful task of settling into all things cosy. I love the soft daydreamy, natural tones of this image, the bed-linen, the cup of coffee...it all makes for a long, lazy, mellow morning, right? I've reached that age where it is all possible now. Or should I say my children have reached the age where it's possible for me to lie -in as long as I like. That is until I hear my yarn and hook calling!
This little fur-ball has no problem mellowing out, any time of the day, Miss Augusta. She is a Master Mellower!


For today's Colour Friday I've used Scheepjes Catona. It's 100% mercerised cotton. The recommended hook size is 3.50mm. You can find out about all the amazing colours HERE! There are 109 colours! The names are totally droolicious too. Internationally you can order from Woolwarehouse in the UK. In South Africa, you can order from Be Inspired 

The colours I used are:

πŸ‘ Rose Wine 396
πŸ‘ Old Rose 408
πŸ‘ Sweet Mandarin 523
πŸ‘ Petal Peach 263
πŸ‘ Linen 505
πŸ‘ Bridal White 105
πŸ‘ Lime Juice 392
πŸ‘ Sage Green 212


I hope these colours will put you in the perfect mellow weekend mood. πŸ’—

Todays Pattern Giveaway is a gorgeous pattern from one of my favourite designers, the super-talented Natalia Kononova from Outstanding Crochet. It's a perfect Spring/Summer top and I love the climbing rose. Leave a comment (and your Ravelry name) and I will randomly ( out of a hat! ) choose 3 x Winners next Friday! Good luck! 


The Winners are, for last Friday's Giveaway which was the wonderful, whimsical doily pattern called "Barbara" by Grace Fearon....

🌹 Marie de Reuk🌹
🌹 Amina Khan🌹
🌹 Jenny5🌹

πŸ†CONGRATULATIONSπŸ†

Good news is that I have finally completed the extension for High Tea! Yipppeeeee! I can't wait to show you but for now, it's still a secret! πŸ˜‰

I did a Poll last week to see which version you would all like, one pattern ( the block + extension = throw ) or two separate patterns to mix and match when the other 3 x Blocks and Extensions are complete. The majority voted for two separate patterns to mix and match. HOWEVER... I have decided to make the High Tea Throw available as ONE pattern on Love Crochet and Etsy! As soon as the text pattern is complete I will drop ALL the relevant links here ( in a blog post ). 

Wishing you all a wonderfully mellow weekend!
πŸ’—Jen





32 comments:

  1. Fabulous colour inspiration Jen. And even better news is that we can look forward to the High Tea extension soon. And for me, a great new holiday project as I will be starting with 3 weeks leave on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holiday to you, you lucky fish! :D Please leave your Ravelry name so that I can enter you in our Pattern Giveaway? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faboulous pattern and very somber colour inspiration.❤
    salehawaseem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Natalia is an amazing designer, so do head on over to her Ravelry store or website...she's really super-talented. :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Thank you so very much. Lots of love and respect for you. It's an awesome pattern. I'm so happy. Thank you once again ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised to see your name in my hand when I took random names from the hat. I think the crochet fairies were rooting for you, Amina! :D I hope you have a lot of fun crocheting Grace's lovely doily. Happy weekend! :-) xx

      Delete
    2. Awwwww.... 😘😘😘 That's so generous of you. May all those fairies bring joy and happiness your way too.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing all of the amazing flora an fauna of your local region and Marys amazing photos certainly do it justice.Congrats to last weeks lucky winners and good luck to everyone for next weeks draw. I'm very happy to hear that it's almost time to get started on the High Tea extension and can't wait to see all of the beautiful interpretations Xx ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary is so talented and she's always snapping fauna and flora and posting it casually on her FB page, MEANWHILE she should really have a book or something...she's so talented!I'm finished!! I can't believe it took sooooooooooooooooooooooooo long but really the interruptions where unprecedented! It shouldn't take too long to type out the notes...so get ready, Noelene! :D xx

      Delete
  6. Thank you, thank you, thank you for my gift Jen, I really appreciate it. This gift is the icing on the cake. I have spent the last 2 years with a really bad knee and after ops and physios got really tired of all the doctors. Finally went to a biokinetic and he has done marvels for me. So this week I am jumping around like a spring chicken, and then discovered I had won the doily pattern. Really made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is wonderful news about your knee and I am SO HAPPY I can contribute in some small way to your happy dance! Big hugs, and I hope you enjoy the pattern! :-) xox

      Delete
  7. You have a wonderful blog and amazing talent. Thank you for sharing them both! Raverly name: denimdaisy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Leann! :-) xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Jen, I have 9 more ends to sew in on the fabulous Karoo, a gift for my sister ( who happened to fall and break both her elbows at work Saturday) ��. I am so looking forward to doing another of your gorgeous patterns...just need to decide which one. Ravelry name is Missymumley Ty❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, that sounds so painful!! I hope Karoo will help take her mind off the accident! High Tea Extension is on the way, keep that hook warm. :D xx

      Delete
  9. Love all your photos! You’re so lucky to be living amongst nature’s bounty! ❤️��❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , Mickey! Even though we live in a very built up noisy urban area of Cape Town we are blessed with an unusual amount of "wild" life, especially Birds! There are also plenty of "greenbelt" areas close by with streams or canals ( the water flows down from the top of Table Mountain ) and I think that's why the surrounding neighbourhoods have so much wildlife. :-) xx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful colourway and pattern! I love Friyays - and your blogs Jen, thank you and congrats on your top award,you deserve it! So looking forward to High Tea extension. Have a wonderful weekend - Ravelry name
    Designerhook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and hope your weekend is lovely! :-) xx

      Delete
  11. Beautiful, just beautiful Jen. I enjoy seeing your Friday colorways. Thank you. Ravelry name- fern2176

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I always look forward to putting the colour moods together. Playing with yarn and colour is what makes my clock tick! :D xx

      Delete
  12. Lovely!! Ravelry name: thesheperdshook
    Thanks Jen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for entering! :-) Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

      Delete
  13. absolutely love this colorway!
    Ravelry name: lotrlover6989

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen Thank you very much for my lovely Grace Fearon pattern! Was a lovely surprise this morning.
    I am also looking forward to the High Tea extension. I just love your designs... They are such wonderful challenges....quite different to the general crochet norm! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I do aim to keep 'em coming! :D Keep that hook warm, the pattern is on the way! I can't believe it's taken so long to do the extension. So may interruptions, good grief! But finally it's completed. I feel like throwing a party to celebrate! :D xx

      Delete
  15. Oops my name is not showing .. MariΓ© de Reuck....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Marie, I've added your name to the hat! :D xx

      Delete
  16. I'm sitting Indian style on my blanket with a breeze coming from the north watching the sun setting and getting a slight chill think what a wonderful thing I brought my rambling rose sweater and reach across my husband and pull my sweater out and he helps me put it on and the worlds all right again...tjecmom100

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen, do you check comments? https://hooksntales.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-darling-dahlia-square.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete