Thursday 29 March 2018

Equinox!



This is my favourite Equinox, the 22 March, that passed by a few days ago.  For you, fellow Yarnies, who live in the Northern Climes, the Equinox marks the return of longer, warmer and hopefully sunnier days. For us, here in the Southern Hemisphere, I think I can safely say, we welcome the longer nights and cooler weather. Here, in the southern parts of South Africa, we enjoy a moderate climate and our Winters are mild, wet and moody.  I just LOVE it! Every day that is hot and balmy beyond this Equinox point, finds me stamping about, cursing the humidity and heat! Why it's humid is beyond me seeing as we're in a drought! However, as soon as we'd passed the Equinox mark this March, almost immediately it cooled down and last night we had our first " i mean business" storm of the season. Oooo, yummy!


I'm not going to say more because I'm dying to chat about my new design! It's the first time I'm using the delicious Scheepjes Stone Washed yarns. I did use a tiny bit for the Flowers when I added them to the Let It Rain Blanket Wrap... not enough to get a real feel though. So using Stone Washed throughout was my first real taste of this lovely yarn. I am SO going to nag, and nag, AND NAG the lovely people at Scheepjes to consider ( can I force them? Possibly storm their headquarters? ) making the Stone Washed in HUGE amounts...AT LEAST 100g balls. You're all with me on this right?


I'm not yet finished yarnfaning Stone Washed, but don't run away before I share the reason WHY I like to work with it. It is soft, and it smells lovely and its so easy to work. This, I think, has something to do with the 22% acrylic. I hardly, if ever, use pure Cotton because I do find it a bit stiff. Probably because I'm used to the stretch of 100% acrylics. But this 78% cotton and 22% acrylic blend is, in fact, the perfect proportions to render this yarn very user-friendly.  Also, the colours...36 colours! And the stone-washed effect is very, very tantalizing and addictive. Yes, it has a compelling hold on me and I'm finding it difficult now to settle down with another yarn!

On to the design, yay!  I think large floral blocks are definitely my thing ( sorry to all of you who are wanting blankets out of me! ). When I designed Amanzi it actually spoke to me. It wanted to go big. It wasn't happy being a cushion cover. I listened, and thus the Amanzi Throw was born. I think as I design these large Blocks I will keep my ear open to whether it's happy to remain a Block or insists on multiplying. I trust the process. Believe me, I could not do an entire blanket if I had to force the process. I'd hate every stitch of it...and you would feel it too. No, we can't have that now, can we? It's just not crochet!


In this case, I specifically wanted a cushion cover for an old antique chair ( one of a set of four plus a table ) that I am renovating. I'm just a little mad about antiques and vintage goodies ( who am I kidding...I'm totally potty! ). I think my love for "old things" stems directly from my typically 70's childhood home, all burnt orange curtains, faux wood and mustard coloured shaggy carpets! Ugh! 😝



The Block measures approximately 17" x 17" ( about 41cmsq ) but I have managed to cram almost 50 rounds into this space! If you've worked any of my patterns you'll know * little details * are my thing. The pattern is image rich, has all the information you'll need for the yarn amounts and stitches used... and of course, it comes with video guides all the way. You cannot go wrong! I hope you enjoy this design and find it useful. Let me know how it goes? You can preview all the pattern details HERE!


Wishing you all a wonderful, happy and blessed Easter.




22 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, how do you do it? How does your fabulous mind keep making up this wonderful, artistic patterns? And how did you know I was planning on nothing but crochet this afternoon and even would go yarn shopping this morning. Your timing is perfect!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy!! :D Enjoy your yarn shopping. I wish I was going with you! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! Another absolutely stunningly GORGEOUS design! Thank you so so much, Jen, your work is just so unique and inspired (-ing) ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words and I CANNOT WAIT to see your colourway!!!! :D XXX

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Simy! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Wowowowowowowowow Every time I think Jen Tyler couldnt possibly design a more Gorgeous and luxurious beauty she goes and outdoes herself with a design that is nothing short of amazing.Thanks Jen for sharing your creative genius with the world Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I love these colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beva! I love them too! :-) xxx

      Delete
  7. So much gorgeousness again Jen, and I have the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Jo'anne! I remember how I drooled over your Stome Washed versions, and thinking I'd never get the opportunity to work with it! Excited to see what you come up with because I know it's going to be swoonalicious! :D X

      Delete
  8. Another amazing pattern, love it! Thank you, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm also looking so forward to seeing everyones colourways! :D xxx

      Delete
  9. Another masterpiece, Jen Tayler, from the early hours of the morning in Argentina when the design came out, I was working on it. That set of textures and stitches is really irresistible, you can not wait to start the next round. Absolutely fantastic ♥

    ReplyDelete

  10. ¡Gracias, querida Sandra! Siempre llevas mis diseños a un lugar mágico con tus maravillosos colores y excelente trabajo. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dedigns are off the hook! Amazingly beautiful! We sound a lot alike...I grew up in a house just like yours! Lol...Olive green and burnt orange!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I can't tell you how inspired I am by your designs and colors! I am planning a cushion project and I think I will use Equinox (or maybe Riebeek-Kasteel) as a starting point. I need to cover a round cushion about 24 inches across, so some modifications will be necessary... Anyhow, I am so excited and can't wait for the yarn to get here so I can get started!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cuanta imaginación deslumbrante, no deja de asombrarme Jen Tyler, GENIA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jen, I have just discovered you. Better late than never I say. I am currently doing your Equinox block but cannot find the video for rounds 25 to 28. Can you help me? The link on your pattern is youtu.be/hro3Qq18CrU but it claims it is unavailable. Cheers Anya

    ReplyDelete