Tuesday 23 January 2018

A little catch-up and some big Magic.

Hello, Lovelies!

It's been awhile, I know! Mind you, I always feel that it's perfectly in order to still be wishing everyone a very prosperous, peace-filled, creative and HAPPY NEW YEAR right up until the last day of January. I mean...our Christmas tree is still up!



December 2017 and January 2018, so far, have been wild weeks! Firstly, we are full on into Summer and it is hot, hot, hot! To make matters just a tad more uncomfortable, it is also humid, but wait there's more! We are also in the worst drought ever recorded. Cape Town, my fellow Yarnies, is pretty much barrelling towards receiving the dubious award of "FIRST MAJOR CITY TO ACTUALLY RUN OUT OF WATER"! Read more here and here


However, we are a city of Hipsters, Hippies, Surfers, Skateboarders, Designers, Fashionistas, Entrepreneurs, Ambitious Waldorf Moms and Upwardly Mobile Families who have no intention of giving up our morning Espresso's, Skinny Soy Lattes or Almond Milk Cappuccinos just because our main water supply, The Teewaterskloof Dam, is a paltry 23% full! Oh no, we have ALL sprung into action and this weekend, just to show you how committed we are to saving water, Mambos, Plastics For Africa and pretty much every retail outlet were SOLD OUT of all their buckets and containers! My husband was inspired to build a Compost Sawdust Loo, Ladies and Gents! Environmentally sound, waterless and might I add, completely odourless too! Read more about this here!

But nevermind that! Innovative ideas have sprung up like weeds on a wet day and I bet the email inbox at the City of Cape Town offices, is jam packed with amazing ideas! Necessity is indeed the Mother of Invention, and we are seeing that age-old wisdom come alive. So it is equally a distressing yet inspiring time!

Enough about our water-woes and let's take a look at what's happening in my little patch of Crochetland, shall we? It hasn't been complete stagnation. I did complete 12 patterns in 2017! If you remember I also hooked off three Free Xmas themed patterns before Xmas, which I see have been downloaded 100's and 100's of times! You can find them all here

The Riebeek-Kasteel Block, which I designed just before the Festive Season, has been a hit! It was designed as a Cushion Cover, quick enough to work over a weekend and such a fun square to explore. I really enjoyed the design process here.

credit: Maryke Etsebeth

Then Amanzi...WOW, what can I say? It keeps going, like a rocket! I would love to display each and every one here, but the Blog post would go on and on! You can view the growing Gallery here.  I have had to set up a Hooks 'n Tales Pattern Workshop Group and appoint actual Admins and Moderators to help. They have all been incredibly motivated, totally helpful and such a fun bunch and so far I've hardly had to do a thing!

credit: Lynn Morris

credit: Joanne Kinter

credit: Cindy van der Schee

It's funny how one thing leads to another. In 2014, all I wanted to do was Crochet to recover from acute and debilitating burnout and now I have a fabulous Team of Crocheters willing to offer their time, expertise and support! I have a dedicated Studio Space, where I can work in relative peace and quiet, where I can keep all my crochet related paraphernalia in one place, and where I can close the door and dream up new designs. It really is a dream come true.


I'm a firm believer in Big Magic. I have seen it in action in my own life and the lives of those who Dream, who show up and do the work, and who are willing to step out of their comfort zones...even just a little. If you haven't read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert I recommend it highly because I do know exactly what she means. Which brings me to the best news which is always kept for last, right?

I am proud to announce, TA DAAAA,  that I am now collaborating with the fabulous and prestigious yarn house, Scheepjes!! Take note, I am not one of their Bloggers so you won't see my mug on their website or anything. Rather, they have taken a fancy to my designs and have VERY generously offered their support in the way of Yarn!

Dear Yarnies....is that not every Crocheters BIG MAGIC DREAM come true? I can design and crochet to my heart's content with the loveliest yarns which have been totally out of my reach so far. I have been a longtime fan of Scheepjes Yarns since I first stumbled upon Wink's ( aka the dearly departed and amazing Marinke Slump ) gorgeous website A Creative Being. Which led me to Dedri Uys ( a fellow South African now in the UK ), then Tatsiana from LillaBjorns Crochet ( I made her Circles of The Sun cushion ) and on to all the other Scheepjes Bloggers where I would drool over the lovely design offerings in amazing Scheepjes yarns...and Dream. As I write, there is a large delivery winging it's way to me from Holland, over Africa and eventually into my hot, sweaty little paws in Cape Town, South Africa!

I am SO EXCITED I cannot even express it well enough.

And so, this is where I will love and leave you, with your hook, yarn and hopefully a quiet place to dream your special dreams.

'til next time!
Take care,
Jen xxx

9 comments:

  1. Great news and well done. Your patterns are lovely.
    Best wishes to you and your team for the future

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s awesome!! Looking forward to your next project!! And, HAPPY NEW YEAR...Lots of love from a huge fan...in New York City ������������

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks a lot!! It's such an exciting time for me, can't wait to get my lovely Scheepjes Yarns!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s such exciting news for you Jen; congratulations and well deserved. It’s lovely that your beautiful designs have been recognized by Sheepjes. Sorry to hear about the water struggles in Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much Jo! Finally, I get to play with Scheepjes!!! I'm so excited...I know, I keep saying it, but I am! :D XXX

      Delete
  5. Free yarn... that's enough to make you breathless with excitement. So happy for you!! I know you'll have loads of fun playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!! So happy for you. I love your designs.

    ReplyDelete