Sunday 10 December 2017

Ouma's Vintage Bunting.



As I was making this I couldn't help thinking back to a very loooong time ago, when I was a little girl of five. who had just lost her Mom. My Ouma and my Moms sisters took me in and the five years I spent with them before my Father remarried were, until I had children of my own, the happiest times of my life. I could write a book about my Ouma, Katerina Johanna Derksen. Perhaps one day I might.

Although she never taught me to crochet, she did teach me to knit and cook. She had a little step-up made so that I could reach the stove, and also a special shelf was set aside for all my little pots and pans and cooking utensils. I owe it to her that my love for cooking led me to run a very successful vegan cafe! Although, I'm not sure she would have approved of my "otherworldly" vegan offerings! She was old-fashioned to a T! Meat, potatoes, a good daily dose of Epsom salts and Bible verse built character and intellect!! There was no alternative way other than a straight to Hell card! 😄 Questioning her rule was unthinkable seeing as she was unfailingly staunch in her beliefs and she never learned to properly speak English. She was a proud Afrikaner with a capital A!



I was her first grandchild and she was also my Godmother! In her eyes, I could do no wrong. I loved her dearly! Her house, I think, stamped a blueprint in my young brain for every future home I would either desire, live in or own. Oregon pine floors, ornate pressed ceilings, a proper pantry always fully stocked with mason jars of syrupy peaches, guavas, and figs. On the bottom shelves, homemade ginger beer fizzled away in their corked bottles.The bay windows and their ornament laden sills, a wide verandah with overstuffed comfy chairs, screen doors to keep out flies and mosquitos, a large black coal stove with it's never ending pot of apricot konfyt bubbling away. Large homemade loaves in the oven, every morning, like clockwork. Her backyard veggie garden and fruit trees were her pride and joy. My love for all these down-to-earth old-fashioned things comes directly from my Ouma. She always had her sewing machine out, or her knitting needles or crochet hook and yarn! Ironically, she was a crochet addict, and yet she never got around to teaching me!

Of course, this Bunting, with it's 50's vintagey vibe would have been right up her alley! I can almost see it hanging across the bay window in her cosy living-room, the Christmas tree in the corner, bedecked with twinkling lights, her old cat, Ounooi, curled up on her lap, a tall Brandy and Coke on the little side table, along with her Rothmans cigarettes ( she smoked until she was 85! ) and Bing Crosby on the old gramophone singing "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas".

My Ouma passed on at the grand old age of 96, still listening to "politics" on her little radio, as witty, strong-minded and devout as ever! I'm honoured to have known her, and I definitely feel her affection and influence in my life every day.


This sweet old-fashioned Bunting works up really quickly and is also a FREE PDF DOWNLOAD pattern! Again, just to say thank you for all the support that has come my way this year. It's been AMAAAAAZING!
❤ 

There is also a full video guide. So you can't go wrong!



I will be officially on Holiday from Dec 12 - Jan 16 2018! Yippee! But if you really do need to get hold of me please do not hesitate to send an email. I am always here to help.

Big hugs and see you in the New Year! 

Ps: apologies for the poor image quality... that Red freaked out my little camera and all the photographs came out weird looking!😁









12 comments:

  1. I wish you a very happy holiday, a merry Christmas and a fantastic, yarny 2018! Thanks for everything you brought into the world in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! And THANK YOU for all your help. Wishing you a FAAAAABulous New Year, with abundant health, prosperity and good luck for you and your loved one. XXX

      Delete
  2. Very cute! Love vintage Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too! :-) I have a collection of vintage Christmas and Birthday cards. :-) xx

      Delete
  3. Loved this fun little bunting!! Thank you so much! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Tanna! Thank you so much! Merry Chritmas! :D xxx

      Delete
  4. Jen: Not involved in these beautiful arts, but am appreciative and have many family members which will love this most lovely blog; so here it goes on FB!
    Cheers and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your kind words, Dennis! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jen, not only for the lovely gift of pattern but a precious walk down memory lane~ Ito had a special relationship with my gma. If not for her, I'd have been lost. Your words gently drew me into a world filled with love, sweets baking each day.. the Good Lords word intertwined throughout the fibers of each day and last thing a heart would ponder as a soft blanket pulled up around my chin and a head nuzzled into it's perfect place on my pillow each nite. My heart if full for these things are not just with me each day but sweetly shared in all I do.. THANK U for helping take a step back to remember who..why I am!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your kin~

    ReplyDelete