Saturday 24 December 2016

Winter and Summer Solstice Squares



I just had to squeeze in these rustic  Winter and Summer Solstice Squares before Christmas. There’s something very special about the longest night of the year and the shortest night of the year. And I didn't want to miss an opportunity to celebrate this, in my own way of course, as we do...with crochet! :)


In the Northern Hemisphere, this heralds the countdown to longer days and sunny skies, while here in the Southern Hemisphere we look forward to cooler days and sitting by the fireside with crochet in hand and a cup of hot chocolate close by. Although we still need to get through sweltering January and February! As you can see, or maybe "knot", I have sneaked in my second love, embroidery. :D  Just the French Knots ( this time ).

I've added a TUTORIAL HERE, for the French Knot.


My crochet definitely tends to lag off as the days heat up...somehow yarn and sweat do not make a great combination! As with all my squares, they are easy to do, and you can use your own colour palette too. The square can be used for anything decorative where you need a rustic looking pretty motif. Also, as usual, I veer towards the colourful, quirky, vintage, sort of bohemian, folksy artsy style. I wonder if this phase will pass? It’s so interesting how each crocheter seems to develop their own style, and like with any sort of creative outlet, when we do it long enough we go through various phases. Who knows, one day I might end up doing Freeform crochet! But today isn’t that day. Haha!


Take care,
Jen xox




11 comments:

  1. Love it! Thank you, and Merry Christmas! :-) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Thank you very much! I've been away for a bit so I hope you had a very Merry Christmas in the meantime. :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, I just found you this morning and felln love with all of your beautiful work.I will certainly be back to try a few soon. I hope ou have a blessed New Year.
    Shay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shay! :-) Thank you, and I'm glad you're here. Wishing you a blessed New Year too! I think this year is going to be quite challenging. All the more reason to crochet away our angst! :D Take care. x

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen! Wow, just discovered you on Ravelry and wanted to thank you for sharing your beautiful designs with the world :-) You are extremly talented. Thank you, and yes I agree,a lot of crochet will be needed to help us feel better this year. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilibri! Thank you so much! I don't know how I missed your comment. Thank you again for your kind words. xxx

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the stunning pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are all these patterns in the bin now? I've had a corruption on my computer and had to restore my drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to have these patterns are beautiful as all yours are is there nowhere or way to retrieve them

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are amazing! I'm just learning to crochet, and making these squares is my new goal. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen ,I have come accords the summer and winter soldier pattern butit won't let me down load it is there any way I could have a copy of the pattern

    Thank u

    ReplyDelete