Thursday 26 January 2023

 Happy Friday and happy Weekend, Lovelies, how are you all? 


All very well in your patch of Crochetland I hope, in spite of January feeling as if it's six months long? Hopefully, it's not been a Januworry for you? 


One of my 2023 resolutions was that I'd blog on a regular basis...but LIFE keeps coming at me! Ok, it's actually DOGS and CATS coming at me (coff, coff). Our little foster senior, Miss Betty, passed over the rainbow bridge just before Christmas. Poor little thing was on her last leggies when she came to us and even though she'd forgotten by then how to 'go toilet' outside, we didn't mind the mess and made her last days as loving and comfortable as possible. Caring for a senior anything (inanimate or living) takes hours out of a day. Of course, we had to fill the gap left by Miss Betty, so we sprang Madame Carla-Walla-Bing-Bong from the SPCA  just before Christmas. She's nine ( so sixty-three in human years ) quite deaf, half-blind, possibly has a hare-lip, and is missing most of her teeth but she has a massive personality to compensate for her, erm, shortcomings (she's even tinier than George Tweeny)...in a nutshell... ADOooRABLE! As always, there is a period of adjustment...and that too, takes hours out of a day, right? Four active Dogs and two fussy Cats are the equivalents of six three-year-old humans...except they never grow up (the fur babies that is). My hands are full (of dog hair and such).




However, in between the business of being a Dog and Cat Mom, I've been keeping a little secret under my belly (nooo, I'm NOT pregnant, sheesh! lol!) but it is a baby of sorts. Tadaaaaa, it's a brand new throw pattern! I've called this 'baby' The Marigold Desert Throw. And much like falling pregnant when you least expect it, the inspiration literally flashed into my brain completely by surprise and unannounced. Inadvertently, the throw inspiration had something to do with my DNA profile, which is ...that I share 0.75% of it with the Khoisan. Anyway, one thing led to another; googled Khoisan ( read more about the first humans, the Khoisan HERE and HERE  ) which led me to Namibia and Botswana, both countries that are largely made up of the Kalahari Desert. Have you ever seen images of this vast space? It is an otherworldly beauty. Within these coppery desert sands, I saw (with my mind's eye, of course) a multitude of Marigolds in all their goldy, sunny, brassy, honey, lemony hues. With this vision of sorts, floated images in my head of succulents and other greeny things that survive in this arid terrain. Thus, with all of this rich imagery swirling about in my brain, it was no effort to pick the colourway and immediately put hook to yarn. I would love to visit the Kalahari Desert, but for three minor inconveniences; it's hot as Hell up there; I live faaar away on a tiny south-western peninsula that looks like a willy dangling over the Atlantic ocean; my furry tribe will insist on coming along. Which sounds exhausting. I'll stay home and crochet instead. Which in itself is an adventurous journey, right?






The Prelude, released today on Ravelry (HERE) includes some useful information to help get you started. You'll have three weeks to decide on your own colourway (or you can follow mine) and gather, or order your yarn. The Marigold Desert Throw is not Hook or Yarn specific. You can make it bigger or smaller by changing your hook size and yarn weight. Pictured is the Marigold Desert Block. As this is an informal MAL (Meander-Along) as before, with some of my Throws, the Extension will follow later. Take note that the Prelude is on a 50% less special at the moment. This once-off purchase of the Prelude INCLUDES the entire upcoming pattern for the Throw. As always, we'll be hosting this MAL at our wonderful, friendly, fun, and helpful Pattern Workshop Group on FB







                                                           (image credit: Thomas Noitz)


If you're wondering what that strange nesty thingy is to the left, it's a Socialable Weaver's Nest. These tough little birds build a community nest for optimal survival in a harsh landscape. You can read more about these clever cuties HERE


                                                                (image credit: Wikipedia)







Rifling about in Marigold Land I discovered that, yes indeed...there is an African Marigold (find out how to grow this beauty HERE). Suffice it to say I've always loved these firey-coloured little flowers (aka Calendula) and have a great appreciation for their usefulness in ancient traditions, gardening culture, and for their medicinal value (HERE is a handy list of the many ways Marigolds are beneficial in healing, and in the kitchen). And did you know (I didn't) that the name Marigold is derived from Mary's Gold, an association with the Virgin Mary? I'm not religious, at all, but I am somewhat of a Magpie when it comes to collecting religious imagery. Specifically, Mary, whose image I always find comforting in a motherly sort of way. These beautifully rendered 'Mary's Gold' cards do make my heart beat a little faster. Pinterest, oh lawdy, the Marigold embroidery! Don't even get me started.


                                              (image credit: ALYSAgraphique on Etsy )


                                                          (image credit: Tina Horn/Pinterest)


To THANK YOU for popping by, I'm giving away copies of the new design to 10 random Lovelies from the comments section. Don't forget to add your Ravelry name!



                                                    (African Marigold - tagetes erecta)





Take care, lovely Yarnarinas. It's crazy out there these days, oh my goodness.

See you soon on another Floral Hook adventure!

Hugs and much love as always,

Jen

PS: click HERE for a free Marigold embroidery pattern.






90 comments:

  1. Hi Jen. This blog made me laugh ..thanks for that. Your Marigold Desert idea is beautiful and I look forward to making it. I also live on that tiny South Western peninsula. How beautiful this country is. Have a lovely Cape summer day. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne! Yes, we are truly blessed to live in this Province and every season is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring. Have a lovely weekend! xx

      Delete
    2. That was fascinating, I love marigolds, earthy colors make my soul happy!. My Ravelery name is Solomonsshadow

      Delete
  2. Another lovely pattern. Thinking I should make this for a friend who is headed to the Kalahari in March (maybe she won’t need it over there though). Ravelry deb3477

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She won't need it during the day, that's for sure... but apparently it gets really chilly at night, so it might come in handy? xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely story and how hard you must work with all those animals to love and crochet to create. I've no idea how you find the time to do it all. Ravelry Pinkfantasy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days just whizz by! Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  4. What a lovely idea, and I'm sure it will have an interesting and "different", warm and summery colourway.
    faeriequeen on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gravitating towards those rich, glowing colours, which is a bit weird considering how hot it is here. xx

      Delete
  5. I totally resonate with your impressions of the Namib and Kalahari deserts. Just such special places. And the Khoisan, such amazing people. I have a friend who can trace her descendants to Krotoa. I'm already loving the prelude! Can't wait to see how it develops to incorporate all the desert colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved arid landscapes and big open skies with long views all around. My dream is to live somewhere like that. It's not practical though. First of all I'd starve without Mr Delivery! Lol! I'm also looking forward to extending this and I'm making lots of notes and sketches as images pop into the old grey matter. Hope your weekend is lovely, Maisie! xx

      Delete
    2. My Ravelry name is MaisieMade

      Delete
  6. You are just amazing! I am so in awe of your ability to design such wonderful items and take the time to make videos to help us through them plus care for special needs pets! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. Much appreciated! Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! Your patterns are just awesome and your design process is mind boggling. I just finished my Amanzi throw. Thank you for the amazing patterns. Love from India <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Sangeetha! Amanzi ( which is the Zulu word for water ) was my very first big project...and it's still my favourite! Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

      Delete
  8. Another work of art, just amazing! I love to hear about your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is another beautiful pattern. So many to choose from. I made one of your cowls, and am working on the next cowl pattern (I bought all 4). I also bought 2 of the throws. They are so beautiful. I loved the videos that are included. They help a lot! Thank you! My ravelry name is jlmillar27 - in case you are still picking random names. If not, I will most likely purchase the pattern eventually anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jennifer, thanks for popping by. Thanks so much for your kind words. I really must make a few more cowls...maybe bigger ones this time? :) Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  10. I love all your patterns! I look forward to seeing how this one will look completed. I have never been to Africa but I understand it is quite beautiful! Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravelry name is jschalk 🙂

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Jane! Yes, it is really an astonishingly beautiful continent. I live in Cape Town, and it's more Mediterranean than Savanna. The diversity of landscapes, people and cultures makes South Africa an interesting place to live. Hope you have a fab weekend! xx

      Delete




  11. Hi, Jen. I'am so sorry about Miss Betty 😢. My heart goes to you and your fam. She was lucky to be in a lovely home, in your care in her last days. I agree about how days go by so fast with active 3yo in the house.😁
    Also love reading about marigold.💐 in my place, marigolds used as decorative plants at homes. In traditional wedding, the flowers used for ornament in brides' hair and their bride's maids (the maids only use a little). Wherease farmers plants them among patches of paddy fields to ward off insects, thus reducing the use of synthetic insecticides.
    But I only know about their use in food and for health just know. Hehe. 😁
    Oh, almost forget, congratulation for completing another amazing designs. Thank you, thank you so much for the pattern❤❤❤. It's always a pleasure reading your blog post😍
    Love,
    Yunita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear Yunita! Yes, it's a fascinating Flower! I was in awe of the fields of Marigolds grown specifically for ornaments, and celebrations. Happy weekend and chat soon ( in a nice chatty email :) ) xx

      Delete
  12. Oh what a beauty!! And love the blog post!! And your colors! Oh my! I'm going to have to get this amd look into the Prelude Pack! HerdinDogz on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! The Prelude will help get you started on this fun MAL. See you at our pattern workshop group on FB? Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  13. Hurray, I recently noted that I needed to crochet a throw in bold colors and here it is! We must have a psychic connection :). And a thought, as you brush all your fur babies and sweep up fur (as I'm sure you do), you might try making a throw of fur. I'm sure someone has done it somewhere! Thanks for this newest inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your colourway (or would you use mine?). I think I'm getting cleverer in my old age (ha!)...I take a brush along on our walks and brush the dogs in the woods. I imagine I'm leaving soft furry bits for bird and squirrel nests? :D Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  14. bambro521 is my Ravelry name. Barb is my name. I am so looking forward to seeing your colorway for this new Marigold throw. I enjoyed making Chrysalis and Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry for the loss of Miss Betty. I lost my 15-yr-old Digby on Sep. 29. He was such a wonderful companion. On Dec. 3 we adopted Singer. She is a work in progress. She loves my husband but is still stand offish with me. But the funny thing is that we snuggle in bed and I give her tummy rubs. Once I get out of bed, it's a different story. We keep hope alive. I hope things work out well with Madame Carla. She is precious! I have already purchased Marigold but thank you for the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sad to hear of your loss. Delighted to hear of your newest fur baby addition. Thrilled to have another beautiful creation to crochet. Marigold Georgous!
    Ravelry ID - Heartinspired. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely new pattern! From LittleRed44 on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely! My ravelry is shineykaylee

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw lovely beautiful useful flower roma7

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the deep rich colour of marigolds! My ravelry username is kimboamineko

    ReplyDelete
  21. I visited the Khalahari often, now I can just enjoy your pictures!
    Revelry: isabelw

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yet another beautiful pattern, Jen. Marigolds bring happy memories of my grandad's garden. He always had them growing near his tomatoes 🍅 suzibear63

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too went to the Khalahari way back in 1990. Beautiful part of the world.
    Found out last week that the accurate way to calculate a dogs age into human years is
    16xln(dogs age) + 31 which would make you new doggie 66.15yrs old. Apparently dogs age quicker when young and then the ageing process slows down. For example a 1 yr old is the equivalent of a 31yr old in human years.
    My Ravelry ID is Needlenoses (named after my Greyhound)😊

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! My Ravelry name is Marloezzie. Thank you for all your beautiful patterns and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jen—
    Sorry to hear about your fur-baby. I know what that’s like, as 2 of my 5 cats have traveled that bridge in the past year. Of course, another (4-week-old abandoned) kitten showed up to help me adjust! Lol! He’s SO affectionate, and he makes me laugh.
    My revelry name is Mercy710, and I LOVE your colorway!
    Thanks,
    Mercy

    ReplyDelete
  26. We call them, the Tagetes, "Afrikaantjes" in Dutch. They are my favorite as they keep pests away in the garden. They come in the most bright colours but I love the tiny little yellow the most. Little yellow mini pompoms. Oh darn, poor Betty, you gave her a last warm home, thanks, Jen. I'm on the Marigold train! I have something with deserts, the absence of noise, the fastness. My sister and brother are born there, Kikuyu and Dinka. My auntie is still living there,though I haven't visited the family for many years. It is, indeed, far away. We are a nice mix of people, eh? All the world in our genes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Jenn, so sorry to hear abput Miss Betty, but happy that she could enjoy a family and loving home in her last days. So greal that you got another foster, so much love to give . As always Marigold is beautiful. Love, Juliana (julic71 in Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  28. hello. thanks for sharing with your fans my name is fannybaez

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely stunning! My ravelry name is Strawberries9407. I just love your designs and color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ralvery audimb , I am in awe of your creations. this will definitely be one of my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Jen,
    What an interesting and busy life you lead. Thank you for sharing it with us and thank you for your generosity in sharing your patterns too. Your patterns really are amazing and so interesting to work through!
    I’m sorry for the loss of your fur baby. It’s such a great thing that you do to take care of these cats and dogs through difficult times in their lives.
    My Ravelry name is CrayChet83

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Jen! A frosty hello from SW Ontario , Canada where it is currently -16°, with a windchill of about -23°. I'm staying home today, buried under blankets and my 14 yr old furkid, dreaming of the warmth of a Marigold Desert! My ravelry name is Tillypunkin

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Jen, lovely story about your inspiration for the new pattern and thank you for showing the beauties that are in Africa. Sorry to heart about Miss Betty and welcome Madame Carla at the floral hook's family. My Ravelry name is sil31. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My Ravelry name is luvcroknt. Love all your patterns. My favorite flowers are marigolds and zinnias!

    ReplyDelete
  35. your photos are beautiful! I enjoy your blog! My Ravelry account is Hearttree1

    ReplyDelete
  36. avarravonkoeller Hope so for ein this amazing pattern

    ReplyDelete
  37. upps a bit late hihi ;) Love allways reading your posts , sorry for your Loss and what a great pattern again , you rock ravelryname is darts finland , have a nice Weekend Jen

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's beautiful. Cherylmixon

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love all of your designs.. They all are so pretty.. Sometime I think how do you make all this designs.. And your new pattern Marigold just blow my mind ❤️❤️ Thank you for sharing your patterns with us
    My Ravelry theskycrochet

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's so beautiful! We have marigolds here in our garden; they have self-seeded every year and it's always a joy seeing them just pop up every spring of their own accord. I can't wait to see the full design unfold. <3 indrabar on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Jen loving your Marigold colours haven't seen any here must have a look at the plant nursery's, (heddy56) ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  42. Greetings from Patagonia Argentina! We are in similar latitude... I love Marigold!!! My name Ravelry is SonjaVitulic

    ReplyDelete
  43. Correction...we are more southern... I´m sorry my bad English...

    ReplyDelete
  44. My ravelry name irislady2014

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi just saw your competition, love all your patterns. My Ravelry name is DeborahCosstick

    ReplyDelete
  46. knottypine is my ravelry name! Love your patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I don’t know how you do it! I wish I could be as creative as you! My Ravelry name is mrsyunyun.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Pretty pattern and lovely earthy colours. My ravelry name Heathertwo

    ReplyDelete
  49. My mama LOVED marigolds!! I must do this throw in her memory. I am fascinated with all of your throw patterns and will be starting the Karoo very soon. My yarn has arrived! Thank you for your inspiration! My revelry name is jvgbug.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Absolutely beautiful design and colors. I love marigolds, too. My ravelry name is kitkat431

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank youuu Raverly name defkaraca

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow, the square is just gorgeous! My Ravelry name is kurlikew - I hope I win! <3

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wemie91 is my Ravelry name. Regards, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hello, my dear friend and professor, what a beautiful design, how much nature plays a role in your designs, I hope I will be one of your winners, I kiss you
    Malosaktehrani

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love your new design! The lines of it are very appealing and I love your color choices. ❤ Ravelry name is Bubbalips.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thank you for being the creative genius that you are!! My ravelry name is mountainmanna.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Ravelry my name is Arvada

    ReplyDelete
  58. My Ravelry name is Rhino06
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful designs

    ReplyDelete
  59. hi I'm purrdee on raverly

    ReplyDelete
  60. Stunning, beautiful and amazing. What a treat. n2qbq on Raverly. Looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Another gorgeous pattern! Thank you again! My Ravelry name is Mariem1968

    ReplyDelete
  62. Paulaaj2 on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  63. I haven't done one of your patterns yet, but they are all absolutely GORGEOUS! I also love your ability to tell stories in your blog posts. I'd love to be considered for one of the patterns. My ravelry name is KharTerra :)

    ReplyDelete
  64. This is gorgeous, and I love this colorway. My Raveler name is lsealey.

    ReplyDelete
  65. CrappyCrochet15 on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  66. Another beautiful pattern! Your patterns are beautiful and eye catching.Also your colour way.
    Everytime after completing any of your pattern thought how could you do that! It's an amazing feelings.keep it up!
    My ravelry name is shirinakhter.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Gorgeous! Christy Kirksey

    ReplyDelete
  68. Your work is such a visual delight! Ravelry. Kirk5eymom

    ReplyDelete
  69. I have been following your work for a long time. Still have to find the courage to jump in and make those wonderful patterns. Hope to start with this. Ravelry .. kaikelasa

    ReplyDelete
  70. heartlady214 is my Ravelry name! Hope I’m not too late - not sure of the time difference in Alaska USA! Love your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hello i am Sinem from Türkiye
    We cant purchase pattern on Ravelry can you send me the link of marigold desert extension in lovecraft web site please

    ReplyDelete
  72. Hi Jen Roma here from new Zealand I'm making the beautiful marigold blanket in memory of my dear Nana her front gardens was covered in marigold flowers ,I miss her so much ,thank you for the pattern , was following on Facebook, Roma Cullen account, but was hacked so needed to make new account , take care lovely lady x

    ReplyDelete
  73. Jen,I am so grateful finding your blog and designs. I thoroughly enjoy reading about your inspiration from all that surrounds you. Thank you ever so for sharing your work.
    My Ravelry is Tatem2
    Take care, Hannah

    ReplyDelete