Monday 31 January 2022

 Good morning, Lovelies!

Welcome to the Chinese Year of the Tiger...which means it's still OK to wish you all a VeRy HApPY NeW YeAr, right?! Mr Floral Hook is a Tiger so I'm expecting great things from him this Tiger Year.😁



🌸 Some of you Lovelies may recall my last blog post... which was in October last year. I simply ran out of fuel after that. You can say and do only so much before a pitstop is in order. I went through quite an odd phase though. Definitely had something to do with all our lockdowns where I became hooked on the bad habit of bingeing on Podcasts and Vlogs...to the point where it didn't feel healthy anymore. What I mean is, and you might disagree, but watching so much of what other people are doing, is weird? LOL! It struck me, suddenly, as incredibly weird and dare I say...voyeuristic? To boot, and this is no critique on Vloggers and Podcasters...but seriously, why was I watching someone chat endlessly about themselves, sometimes day in and day out ( even if it was about crochet, or whatever ) I literally watched a Vlog of someone cleaning their shabby ( but charming ) kitchen and it wasn't even a lesson in cleaning or renovation! At that point, I knew I was waaaaaay too far down the wormhole. The only way out was to immediately, without another thought, go cold turkey. Crikey, easier said than done! I've definitely developed a new understanding of Voyeurs! And also, for those who feel the necessity to be constantly seen and heard, lest they disappear into a perfectly normal and largely uneventful existence. It's been 122days since I watched a Vlog. I should get a medal or something?😆



🌸 So, that was the conclusion of my first set of thinky-thoughts. The next set of thinky-thoughts ( now that I was a recovering Vlog voyeur with TIME on my hands ) involved crochet and my obsessive compulsion to always be busy with hook, yarn and notebook while simultaneously, and with so much longing, daydreaming about watercolour florals, drawing, botanical-inspired walks, ocean wave and/or cloud gazing and other similar delightful escapes into the realms of forbidden pleasures. I say "forbidden pleasures" because the "work ethic" has been well and truly branded into my hardworking backside! Ordering a new watercolour paint set, a clutch of deliciously rounded paintbrushes and a cold-pressed watercolour A5 pad felt absolutely illicit! I could just as well have been ordering a plain brown- paper wrapped package ( nudge, nudge, wink, wink )


Some of you may know that my real job was once helping people get their heads shrunk. So I'm not totally rubbish at self-therapy. To cut a long story short...that's where I am at the moment...on the beach with Roxy and Lally, or crouched under cooling tree canopies watching Ants drag bits of insect carcass into their sandy parlours ( oh, lawdy, am I an Ant voyeur? ), or frequently traipsing around the green belts of our beautiful Cape, or on a cool morning, sat quietly by the garden fishpond sketching and painting dragonflies and wildflowers ( ok, the garden weeds if you must ). In short, I am having a wonderful time. I highly recommend shutting off all your devices for a meaningful period of time and looking up, or down. It's amazing what's going on while we think we're engaging with "real stuff" via our social media accounts.



🌸 I'm not entirely away with the fairies. I am crocheting, but vicariously through our Group members. I can't see myself picking up a hook until April ( at least ) when the weather turns squarely to face late Autumn. All that thinking made me acknowledge ( and accept ) that my brain really only works properly, for crochet that is, at 23 degrees Celcius, and lower. I'm dead serious! Must be all that Northern European and Finnish DNA, right? You'd think six or so generations of life under the African sun would have made a difference to how I adapt to heat. But no. In the immortal words of Monty Python's famous Parrot skit; I pine for the Fjords ( still )



🌸 The background to all this thinky-thought stuff, the traipsing, the sweeping leaves, the watercolour floral flow, and gazing at nothing, in particular, is that I am quietly percolating new ideas. It happens naturally when you let yourself off the "busyness train". I highly recommend it! In fact, stop reading this right now and go find yourself an Ant to observe.😄




( Our very old Gumtree at the bottom of the garden sheds like a shaggy dog! I'm endlessly captivated by the gorgeous colours of the dried leaves which I sometimes sweep into a pile but then allow the wind to blow them around again )



( Be as happy as Roxy on the beach, covered in sand )


( Will sun-gazing through the branches of a tree EVER get old? )



( Or watching Miss Augusta dreaming that she's a super-cat flying through space? )


( Lally, our Beach Diva...LOVES the ocean, and knows how to strike a pose for the Puppyrazzi too )



( Mr Floral Hook promised me a yacht for Xmas...oh, well, paddle-boats are good for the legs, right? )



( Up and down mountains )



( These two! Up, and down, for anything! )



( An attempt to become one with the foliage. Our day trip to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens )




( Come for a visit...it's only a number! )



( Playing with your fur-babies is the best free therapy )



( Mind-less enjoyment with paint and brushes. Just do it. It's SO GOOD for the soul )





Lovelies, take special care of your precious selves. Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses. These beauties opened in a day because of the heat. I can't stop looking at them each time I pass by. I've placed them in the parlour ( entrance hall? ) so they are hard to miss. Make sure that wherever your eye stops, there is something gorgeous there that lightens your day.

Hugs,
💗 Jen

PS: The REAL reason I'm not crocheting at the moment.



PPS: If you'd like to win a surprise FREE pattern from an amazingly wonderful crocheter ( NOT ME, lol ), then don't forget to leave your Ravelry name in the comments section below. I'll pick 5 winners in a random draw and send your prize to you on Friday 11 Feb.😁


🌸🌸🌸



34 comments:

  1. Turlagh
    Love all the photos of your furbabies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I shared them all we'd be here for a year! They are my favourite "subjects". xx

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness how I missed you blogs. You write so well and have the ability to transport us to your beautiful and tranquil world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that! I've been feeling very bad about missing in action for so long. I've missed you all! xox

      Delete
    2. I’ve missed your blogs but sometimes a “get away from it all” is necessary. Wishing you well and a wonderful year ahead. Puma T. (It’s actually a shortened version of my cat’s name, Puma Thurman.)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post Jen 💕 Love reading all your adventures and seeing all your fur babies 🥰 raverly ( Jvienn2) Stay well and safe 🐈‍⬛🦮🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you stay well and safe too! Hugs. xx

      Delete
  4. Hi, it is good to hear from you! Yes, a break is always good and in contact with the nature even better. 🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜
    I’m crossing my fingers to be able to travel to London next Saturday (stay away of Covid or a risk contact) for a 3 weeks’ break, to stay with our daughter and meet our first grandson.
    Enjoy life…and the good moments! Love Ana🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely visit, Ana ( CONGRATULATIONS on your first grandson!) My step-daughter was here with us for 2 weeks from the UK. I'm so happy all countries are relaxing their travel restrictions. Enjoy your little holiday and your new little grandchild! Warm hugs!!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jen, it´s wonderful to hear from you again. I´ve the same problem here, until the temperature reaches lower numbers i can´t work properly.
    As always your photos and writting make us travel with you
    Enyoy the summer! (Julic71)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juliana! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who suffers under the heat and humidity. Mr Floral Hook keeps looking at me as though I'm an alien! He positively BLOOMS the hotter it gets. He's like a tropical houseplant! LOL! Stay cool. xox

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear some news from you Jen 😊 I like the pics and the way you telling us your world, thank you ❤️ (valemar on Ravelry 🙏)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I had a lot more news but I don't want to write a book! Lol! I will try and share more of my Cape Town adventures. Hope all is well your side and that you are staying safe from you-know-what? Hugs! xx

      Delete
  7. So nice to see a post from you. While working through your patterns, one after the other, I smell the roses. So relaxing. (tarnmas on R)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that. Rose smelling is highly recommended as is cloud-watching and leaf-gazing! :D The older I get the more I appreciate slow, mindful moments. Take care! xox

      Delete
  8. Good to take a break, you certainly deserve it. Love seeing the pictures of your country. I'm a bit lost not worjing on one of your patterns. n2qbq on Raverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Anne! Hope you had a lovely festive season? I have tried to crochet through the heat and humidity but my brain just gives up. I think it's one thing to follow someone else's pattern but it's a different story when you have to design one when your brain feels like warm lemonade. LOL! But as soon as the weather cools...you know where I will be. Keep your hook warm! Hugs! xox

      Delete
  9. Hi Jen
    So nice to see you're back after your well deserved break. I don't listen to Vlogs or Podcasts... But I really enjoy listening to your videos - even if I work on a totally different crochet project (with mindless repetitive patterns). So I guess it's almost the same ����
    Greetings from Germany
    Melanie
    (mel179 on Ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! Aw, thank you for enjoying the videos. I've had some people tell me they can't stand them! LOL! Hope you're staying nice and toasty and enjoying the snowy weather. Send some snow and I'll send a little box of sunshine. I can't wait for the weather to cool here. Take care, stay safe! xox

      Delete
  10. You can open my phone and fur baby pictures it is XD Love your post. My kids showed me ancient Chinese drama's on YouTube. Goodness. That's a rabbit hole for sure. A wormhole! Oh well, we had a huge storm, cold and wet, love tho hear about your beach cool down and aquarel journey. Lovely picture of you sitting on that rock. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Tineke! Aw, thanks! I wanted to wear that dress to the Botanical Gardens...in solidarity with the flowers. It was actually really cold, and rained at one point. Lol! It's so true that the phones of Furry-kid Moms are just packed with pics of them in every situation and position. I don't think I ever took as many pics of my human kids! Sending warm hugs. xox

      Delete
  11. Oh nice to hear from you again .... I already wondered ... thank you for sharing your situation and i am glad to hear that others also live similar experiences... thanks again and happy days to you
    greetings from snowy Germany
    Petra
    xmaxine on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here, Maxine! Stay warm and cosy! xox

      Delete
  12. It was so good to read your latest blog! So nice to put the names with your pets and see a recent photo of you too! I have to agree with you - if the temp goes below 24°, I come alive again. I start art classes again tomorrow to keep my hands busy and hopefully rekindle my artistic side (I lost it many years ago 🤷🏼‍♀️). I do try smaller projects in the summer just to stop myself reaching for the chocolates! Hopefully I can finish the Harvest Moon before you bring out the next delicious design!
    Best wishes from a hot and humid Northern KwaZulu Natal.
    SandyLubbe on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! The humidity is what fuddles the brain, right? Roll on Winter! There are lots of free lovely Youtube videos if you're keen to get back into painting. It's been ages since I picked up brushes so I signed up on Skillshare ( it's really worth it and not pricey ) and did a crash course on watercolour which I've not used before. So good for the soul. Let me know how your art classes go? Hugs! xox

      Delete
  13. Oh how I wish I was Roxy... can't wait for the sun on my skin.
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures!
    So glad you are doing fine again!!

    Love Chan (chantal zwart)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chan! It's lovely connecting with my "old" friends here in Blogland. I do need to pace myself though when it comes to social media world. It can get overwhelming pretty quickly! Hope you are well and staying nice and cosy. Spring is just around the corner, hang tight! :D Big hugs! xx

      Delete
  14. I loved seeing a photo of you as you are usually behind the camera! Your watercolor talent is amazing! You definitely need to share more of those on your page! I'm kinda glad you won't be crocheting until April as I'm slogging my way through a 15+ pile of WIPs! Yikes 😳 ... Ravelry name is kjprice

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did cross my mind that so many crocheters have SO many, many WIPS. My patterns can wait a bit seeing as they can be very distracting. LOL!! I'm thoroughly enjoying the watercolour floral journey...it's sooooooo relaxing. The hours just whizz by...I need to be careful of that seeing as I've destroyed many a pot of rice. Happy crocheting, Kris! xxx

      Delete
  15. So good to hear of all of your adventures and that you are well. Thanks for catching us up!
    Ravelry name - heartinspired

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jen, I purchased your Moonflower cushion block and have been trying out the pattern. There are six links to the video tutorials to get me the help I need, but Google says they can’t find the videos. I really need the help they would provide. Can you please assist me?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ich habe ein ähnliches Problem: die you tube Videos scheinen nicht mehr online zu sein. Was kann ich tun?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jen! Happy Tiger Year! Your cat looks a lot like mine..my Kat has a medium length coat. Thank you for your generosity and talents. My Ravelry name is Threas1.

    ReplyDelete