Sunday 3 October 2021

Blogtober...a bit of a late start!

 Dearest Lovelies,


As usual, I'm unfashionably late to the Blogtober party. To compensate, this will be a three-day's worth blog post and then I'll be all caught up, right? So grab a cup or a glass of your fav beverage, curl up in a comfortable spot and let's catch up?

I can't believe it's been almost two months to the day that I last posted a little catch-up. I rambled on last time about taking a winter break...which I totally did. August was also my B'day month and as always I like to slow right down and take stock of the past year. I do this because, and I'm sure you would agree, THE DAYS WHIZZZZZZ by so quickly. It feels as if nothing of any importance was achieved. Yet, when you sit down and actually have thinky thoughts about the year, it turns out lots and lots of all sorts of things did occur which you can confidently slap a  " progress " label to. I've always been progress-orientated which has historically driven my nearest and dearest MAD! Is there no rest in you, Mother, shout my kids. Oh Lawdy, not another " bright idea ", groans Mr H&T. Sorry ( not really ) it's in my genes!


Speaking of which; I've always wanted to do one of those DNA Ancestry kit thingies and finally a full bells and whistles test became available at an affordable price tag. So, spontaneously, as a B'day prezzie to myself, I purchased the 9-in-One kit, did the early morning mouth swab routine ( first the inside of one cheek then the inside of the other cheek ) with the giant earbuds provided, then popped my questionable DNA into a huge test tube! A short while later a courier arrived to collect the sample then sped off with what felt like a very personal piece of me for analysis at Stellenbosch University. I had flashes of being cloned and got very excited at the thought of having a few extra arms to crochet with. Every crocheters dream, right? After a longish wait ( close to eight weeks ) the results are in! As you know, I'm always banging on about how much I hate the long, hot, humid African summer months? Well, it's all the fault of my DNA! Turns out, 60% of my DNA is a mash-up of Scottish, from the Orkney Islands specifically, Dutch, French and British ancestry ( no surprise there ). The next bit was a surprise though, wait for it....30% FINNISH ( what!? no wonder I pine for the icy tundras and frozen fjords!! ). But here's a laugh; 10% Italian, specifically from the island of Sardinia. Made sense, as anyone can tell by the way I expertly and in record time polish off a bowl of linguine. My oldest son on learning this, quipped, NO surprise there at all, Mumsie ( I have no idea what he's talking about ). My !!!!!! could be a dead giveaway though? Of course, I'm rounding off the %'s here. The remaining 2% DNA involved Northern Pakistan, an ancient nomadic tribe situated in the region between The Black Sea and The Baltic Sea, the bleak vast plains of Siberia and lastly, a horticultural tribe deep in the Amazonian forest of South America ( what WERE my distant ancestors up to? ). The kit went into loads more detail which included a handy meal plan for my specific DNA make-up. In all, fun, revealing and quite helpful.


Mr H&T and I have been escaping the city almost every other weekend for the past eight weeks. Always to our off-grid "pandokkie" ( aka the hovel ) in Riebeek Kasteel. I took full advantage of these escapes while the snow still sparkled on the surrounding mountain ranges and the valley temperatures plummeted to zero degrees Celcius overnight.  Mostly, the little village is quiet throughout the deep Winter months. Even so, because it's only an hour and a half's drive from the centre of Cape Town, there are just enough visitors to keep the Hotel, Bakery and Restaurants open for business. We're early diners so we'd have our usual favourite spot to ourselves ( and the roaring fireplace ) at The Bay Leaf and Thyme. Which felt deliciously luxurious. We've both been twice-vaxxed, but we're still cautious around crowded spaces ( we pointedly avoid them ). Also, just to up the fun-factor on our trips, Mr H&T researched all the scenic back roads, many of them dirt roads, which make our journeys seem longer and definitely more adventurous. With plenty of rain over the season every farm dam, duck pond, winding river and roadside ditch was filled to capacity. Which contributed generously, at the beginning of Spring, to the spectacular display of myriad wildflowers for which the Cape is world famously known. Every now and again we'd get a bit lost but we always seemed to end up at some quaint little eatery that just happened to serve excellent snacks and coffee! It's always a delightful surprise! This prompts us to high-five each other every time, like two weirdos. Two pretty happy weirdos!😆


Wild Pear Trees in bloom!


Unspectacular wildflowers in a roadside ditch. 



We always stop along the way so that the doggies can smell the flowers. The fields were covered in yellow canola blooms. My phone camera does this scene no justice.




Inspired by two early morning cappuccinos and icy temperatures, crawling up the side of a mountain above the mist shrouded village. I'm getting too old for these challenges. 😂




Oooo'd and aaaaaaa'd over this gorgeous Camelia "tree" blooming on the main street of Riebeek Kasteel.










On another note altogether, but to keep everyone in the loop; recently, in between all the galavanting around the countryside, there's been a bit more drama-related goings-on in my social-media "space ". Remember all the hullabaloo in May around the sudden closure of the original HooksnTales Pattern Workshop Group? Well since then, this Blog has been hacked eight times! Less dramatically, Google blocked eight attempts. Inexplicably, I find this hilarious that anyone would think I'm worth a hack! It's a backhand compliment, right? Heehee. Then a few days ago, Facebook mysteriously disabled our lovely "new" HooksnTales Group. The thot plickens ( or it could just be Mercury in Retrograde? ). The reason sited was that we had violated several of its Community Standard Rules, repeatedly, relating specifically to...wait for it..." nudity and soliciting 53X "! Oh, I can tell you the Admin Team and I laughed our heads off between the inevitable "Hooker" jokes, and so on. However, this dragged on for three days with dozens of our Members protesting to Facebook via a handy complaints form that is not readily available ( you have to hunt it down ). This made us sad. Finally an email from FB ruling ( tentatively ) in our favour. However, an investigation is now underway as it appears several "culprits"  falsely ( maliciously I'd say ) fingered ( sorry, LOL! ) our lovely, friendly, helpful and fun Group! To those of you Lovelies who find yourselves "Groupless", we can't say for sure when we might get our Group back. To accommodate everyone, the Admin Team and I quickly set up an "emergency" Group HERE.  I fear we may, for some reason or the other known only to untouchable FB, never get back our lovely crochet group. But, no worries...we will keep going. It's the darndest thing though. Since all this uncalled for drama, I've been filling my art journal with sketches of design after design. I close my eyes and literally see new designs dancing across my mind. Strange, right? One thing, for sure, the Universe works in mysterious ways. It's a universal law that Creation is an inevitable by product of Destruction. There's a very strong feeling of being in a deeply regenerative space. I know, sounds artsy fartsy but, I have a HUGE smile on my face.


Finally, I'm getting around to crochet-speak! My LYS ran out of several Stylecraft Special DK colours that I'm using ( specifically Sage, Gold and Denim ) to continue on with the final two sections of the Harvest Moon Thow. As many of you already know. I live at the bottom end of Africa. Sometimes we have to wait a loooong time for things to reach us. But good news, my colours are already at the courier warehouse and, fingers crossed, their arrival at my front door is imminent! I'm SO excited to get back to this project! Mostly because there are other designs in my head clamouring to materialise. It's getting crowded "upstairs ". Below are some gorgeous colouways of where the Throw is at right now.


By Kris Price



By Nana Razpoush



By Urooj Umar



By Marjolijn Zweeren



THANK YOU all so much for your support, for your encouragement and your kind, kind words through yet another HooksnTales drama. I'm positive we will get back to a place where no one gives us a second thought as far as false reporting or other silly shennanigans are concerned.


To get properly back on track, it's GIVEAWAY time again! As usual, we'll randomly choose five lucky Lovelies to win this beautiful free pattern, The Blooming Moss Scarf HERE by Dutch designer Christina Hadderingh. So, don't forget to leave your Ravelry name if you do comment!


See you in crochetland and please stay safe but make sure to have loads of fun time too.

Hugs as always,

💛 Jen


PS: Miss Augusta makes me smile every single day. She's such a funny old girl!






23 comments:

  1. Hi dear Jen💕! Getting to read your blog is always a treat😍. Really missed it. Your winter countryside trips sounded so adventurous, getting such breaks are essentially rejuvenating especially if one is a nature loving being.
    Your DNA Ancestry mashup adventure is so interesting. Your 🧬 gene pool has almost covered all the continents 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Except for Australia 😁. Am sooo very proud 🏆of ur gene fraction related to my part of the world.
    Getting our beloved group disabled by FB has been a real setback. It felt as if v got ourselves locked out of our own home☹️. But am very hopeful that v will get it back, cos the allegations are nothing but someone’s evil drive.🤣🤣🤣.
    Am so excitability your upstairs activity🤣🤣🤣🤣. New designs must be popping up. Indeed creativity is embedded in testing times 👍🌸.
    Good luck dear💕, n thank u for your lovely patterns, generous thoughts n making huge difference in the lives of the crocheters world wide💗. Always sticking to u , much luv n regards🌸💕.
    Urooj Umar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Urooj! As always you are so encouraging and positive...which I appreciate more than I can express. Take care, and see you in crochetland! :D xox

      Delete
  2. O m g. Fb trolls strick again? Wow. Also. So jealous of your getaways. I really could use those even just once a year....
    AmyTheGR8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...I know, right!? The trolls I mean. Aw, don't be jealous but yeah, you must carve out time to rejuvenate. I struggle to leave my comfort zone ( or is that comfort home ) so it's always an effort to motivate myself to take these breaks. But the rewards are definitely worth it. Just do it, girl!! :D xox

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos!! TrilliumLady on Ravelry. Always on the lookout for Trillium themed crafty things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly had a panic attack when I couldn't find you, but being a Virgo I was determined and achieved my goal. I still can't go out among people and so glad you had a lovely trip. Photos are wonderful. I made a number of complainted to Facebook for what they did to you. As always love your work and your chalenging designs. They keep me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to see you did find our emergency group, Mary! Hopefully we'll get our other group back soon. But if not...we'll just carry on best we can. xox

      Delete
  5. I forgot my Raverly name. It is n2qbq. It may seem strange but I'm a ham.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen, cant believe F/B disabled the group :-( WHY?? Are people so jealous of your beautiful patterns!! I'm sorry this happened. Dont forget KARMA this goes to all the trolls. Wow like that you did a DNA Ancestry kit, very intresting the % of places you have in your DNA. 10% Sardania island, my grandfather (my moms dad) was from there, been there and in Malta we went years ago to meet that side of the family. Take care my friend xoxo Ravelry name Wisdom61.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Sofia. xox

      Delete
  7. Hi Jen, so great to read your blog again. And great to learn that all the negativity around the fb group has stimulated the creative juices. Can't wait to see what you have in stall for us!

    Miss Augusta is so sweet, she reminds oë of Goffel who also used to carry on similar conversations with me. Kitties are darlings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Rene! My cats and doggies keep me sane even though they drive me mad sometimes! :D xox

      Delete
  8. Jen dear, it felt so good to hear from you! The troll/s who have tried demolishing the H&T family don't realise the force they are dealing with! In the words of Arnie "we will be back!"
    Your travels sound amazing- we had a short break down to the south coast but the bush is calling me so strongly and I will have to listen. Our personal lives have been turned upside down over the last 12 months (not Covid related, also 2x vaxxed, still avoid crowds) and little get-aways and my crochet projects have kept me sane. So I am thrilled to hear you have a trillion new projects running around in your head! I am very intrigued by your DNA exploration as it is somethingI would love to do too. How can I contact them?
    As for Miss Augusta! Well, she had my 5 Yorkies looking for her and my cat, Misty aka The Grinch, looking at me accusingly 😂😂
    Hello to all the H&T members - miss you all.
    Keep the faith Jen and thank you for being Jen!
    SandyLubbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, oh Sandra, I can imagine their faces ...and ears! My step-daughter lives in the UK and when we facetime her husky starts howling which brings my lot running and barking! :D I know, this group drama is tiresome but we will prevail, as we always do. I hope you joined our "emergency group"? The crowd I used are called BioCertica, by the way. They're on the interwebz with their various packages.Take care and see you in the Group. xox

      Delete
  9. so lovely to have you back, I missed our crochet family even though I dont comment very often I read every day and missed it .I am working on crysalis at the moment and loving it a lot.Keep up the brilliant work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! I'm happy to be back in Blogland...and of course it's lovely to see you here. I hope you joined our "emergency" group? Looking forward to seeing your Chrysalis progress. xox

      Delete
  10. I have to laugh about that old joke "hookers wanted"- some people need to read the post and not just react!!!! enough said about that joke. Good to hear what you have been up to Jen. Love the beautiful Harvest Moon throws that are here and will soon be seen from all our other friends.

    Gg8eight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Who knows what was going through FB's mind when they decided to put us into "review"...what were they hoping to find!? Oh right, a group of happy hookers, that's what! LOL! Take care and happy weekend. xox

      Delete
  11. Welcome back. Wonderful reading and love the stunning camellia tree in bloom. Love the various colours by the ladies of Harvest Moon. My Ravelry name is dgoeldner. Have a fabulous day Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, lovely to see you here and we're SO happy to have our Group back! Hope your weekend is lovely! :D xox

      Delete
  12. Well dear girl, it's so nice to see that you weather everything so well!
    Love the description of your trip. We have always loved travelling different roads. One time our GPS took us down "Granny Goat Lane" (no lie), while giving us a view of the highway running parallel, and we couldn't get to it. LOL
    Your patterns and group mean a lot to us!!! Courage and keep going (selfishly said).
    https://www.ravelry.com/people/RobWillson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...oh, Robin, that made me laugh! We've been in similar situations without the help of the GPS! :D Thank you so much for your ongoing kindness, support and encouragement. Onwards and upwards!! :D xx

      Delete