Friday 23 July 2021

Reality bites!

 Happy Friday, Lovelies! 🌸

Tadaa, today is the release of the new pattern Harvest Moon Block! Yep, I've just launched straight into my "big" news before asking " how are you ?"  HOW ARE YOU!!? Once again thank you for all your lovely comments. I absolutely love reading through them even though I quickly run out of typing finger strength to reply to all of you Lovelies.



It's been a bit mad here in the H&T studio. Also, things got very real, as they say. If you're wondering howso, let me explain one of life's two certainties. Death and Taxes! Seeing as I'm writing this I'm sure you can guess what I've had to deal with recently? I mean, seriously now, not even in my most daydreamy daydreams did I EVER think my little crochet corner of the entire world would be fingered for taxes! 

Ok, that was a bit dramatic but how it happened was that I was happily daydreaming, while washing dishes. As one does. You know, just gazing over the rooftop of the neighbouring house at a tall Eucalyptus tree waving it's branches about, like an artists paintbrush, imagining that it was painting the clouds scudding across the stormy sky when suddenly this faint Gollum sounding voice began floating up from a darker corner of my daydream ( maybe the shelves under the kitchen sink that badly need sorting? ). It whispered,  " taxes, you will have to pay taaaxessss noooow "! Good grief, I kid you not; I stopped washing those fertile dishes, headed straight to my computer, typed in "local Accountants ", immediately sent out an email SOS to a few names that looked legitimate and accountanty. I won't bore you with the sordid details of what next transpired. Tears were involved. At one point I was seriously discussing with Mr H&T my plan to divorce him, dye my hair ( or purchase a blonde wig! ) and move to the tax haven of Mauritius!

HOWEVER! While searching for a nondescript suitcase I discovered my big girl panties ( ok fine, tummy tuckers! ), pulled them on, all the way up to my chin, made a pot of calming Rooibos tea, then sat down at my desk to begin daydreaming about knocking this challenge on the head. No way out but through it, right? If you're on our lovely, friendly, helpful group you'll have noticed me posting several " buy 1 get 1 free " specials? Seeing as I've never done that before, having the proclivity to rather give patterns away for free, perhaps you may have been a little surprised? Also, a brand new pattern appeared without warning? Well, now you know!πŸ˜†

This brings me to the next part. YOU, and YOU, YOU, YOU, YOU and YOU x 100's and 100's of YOU, helped me knock this tax boogeyman smartly on the head! All of you Lovelies have contributed towards making me a Designer who now pays taxes BUT, you all contributed towards helping me pay those taxes! And I cannot THANK YOU enough for your ongoing kind encouragement and generous support. None of this, good and bad, would be possible without all of you. So saying...don't forget to check out the new " buy 1 get 1 free weekend special "! πŸ˜‚

Honestly, my heart was in my throat the whole time seeing as I've never had debt! Being raised by super old fashioned working class stock, nothing could be a worse than the day-nightmare of owing the Taxman! Or anyone, for that matter. So, this is my life now, making sure I never do! LOL! Sigh...I did say life got very real, very quickly! But enough about "real life"...let's talk crochet! As many of you may already know, I ran a "special" for the Harvest Moon Block? As in, "buy the block get the extension for free"?  Many of you may already have the Block? I'm going to randomly pick winners from the last comments section and if you have already purchased the Block...please let me know and I will send you any other pattern you like. Deal?

If you don't yet have the Harvest Moon Block in your collection, you can find it HERE. The Harvest Moon pattern is a Throw pattern in 3 x PARTS. Let me explain.

🌸PART 1 ( The Square 12" x 12"/ 30cm x 30cm ).

🌸PART 2 ( The Block 20" x 20" / 50cm x 50cm ). The Square is upsized to the Block size.

PART 1 and PART 2 are included in one price. If you already have PART 1 you'll automatically receive PART 2.

🌸PART 3 ( The Extension ). The Block is upsized to a Throw size ( 47" x 47" / 1.20m x 1.20m ). The Extension is a separate pattern that can be used to upsize any of my other Blocks ( eg: the "Tea" series ). The Extension will be available in September. For those of you who grabbed the launch special, you'll automatically receive the Extension.

In between all this madness I did manage a few soul repairing walks with the Girls and Mr H&T who is working from home while we plough through yet another heavy lockdown. Oh, nature, how you nurture! 😊





Today our GIVEAWAY is a gorgeous pattern called Letitia's Garden by one of my favourite designers, Rosina Plane. Five lucky Lovelies will receive a copy in our draw on Friday 6 September. Don't forget to leave your Ravelry name if you do comment. Ten Lovelies will be today's lucky recipients of the Harvest Moon Block ( check your Ravelry notifications ).


And that's me for now! Hope your weekend is warm and cosy if you're in the southern-hemisphere and cool and breezy if you're further north. Anyway, stay hydrated Friends! 😁

Take care and stay safe!

πŸ’› Jen xx

PS: on the plus side...Princess Nisha makes sure I never get to make the bed. She's taken to burrowing into the blankets every morning until lunchtime.


PPS: For those of you shivering in your booties this winter, I discovered a great hot chocolate recipe!

πŸ’— Add a cup of milk to a saucepan ( I used almond milk ).

πŸ’—To your milk add: 2-3 heaped tsps raw cocoa powder, 1 level tsp turmeric powder, 1 level tsp ground cinnamon, 1 level tsp ground ginger, a twist of ground black pepper. Bring your milk to a gentle simmer while whisking in your other ingredients.

πŸ’— Pour your hot chocolate into a mug, stir in sweetener of your choice ( I used Vegan Honey made from apples ).

SOOOOOOOO delicious, oh, my word!















61 comments:

  1. All ready purchased Harvest Moon. Can't wait to start it. Raverly is n2qbq. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary! Take care too. Happy weekend. xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely vlog, Jen. That gorgeous little waterfall <3 And don't do the blond. This colour suits you just fine. Let mister H&T do the blond. ;>D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...he is already blonde though. :D Even with my mask on and a hoodir covering my hair, and in a big baggy winter jacket people recognise me! I won't get far. LOL! Happy weekend, dear Tineke. xx

      Delete
  3. Hiya Jen, lovely to hear of you and yours as always. Glad it was the tax you couldn't avoid over death any day. πŸ˜† I too have already purchased Harvest Moon - just love your designs. Ravelry name is Needlenoses. 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anya, thank you so much!! Yes, I'd rather have the taxes! Lol! Happy weekend. xox

      Delete
  4. When you mentioned Death and Taxes I shuddered for a moment. I'm happy for you that it's the latter! You get to do what you love, make money from it and yes, pay taxes, which is fair after all. Were you thinking that the money coming in could just be invisible because it comes from "online"? LOL.
    "Seeing as I'm writing this I'm sure you can guess what I've had to deal with recently?" Death is not only your own, you know? Loved ones can also die. I would prefer working my ass off paying taxes rather than mourning my beloved companion of 15 years after a year and a half of struggle.
    This said, I am very thankful to you. Because Chrysalis helped me cope during this horrible, horrible winter, with its hopeful fairy-tale colours and challenging pattern, which, at least for some time, took my attention away from what was going on in our life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry you have had to go through so much sadness. I've been there. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever lose all my fear for something horrible happening just when I start to feel happy again. But indeed...rather taxes. And no...I didn't think I did not have to pay tax, rather I was surprised that I made enough income to warrent paying tax. I never expected that. I'm happy to pay taxes...it was just a bit of a shock once my accountant put all the figures together. Also, a happy surprise! Light and dark. We must always have balance, right? Sending warm hugs to you. XOX

      Delete
    2. already got harvest moon, im sure it will be another great design, ravelry name lindabeaman

      Delete
  5. Good morning Jen, Lovely, cool morning here in Baltimore; Perfect for early morning crochet. Looking forward to working on Harvest Moon. Ravelry name is Ggeight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely! Perfect crochet weather for sure. Happy weekend! :D xx

      Delete
  6. Hi, Jen. Thanks for the recipe. It’s certainly cold enough here in Adelaide for a warming mug of hot chocolate. Stay safe & warm! My Ravelry name is humoor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hot chocolate recipe comes HIGHLY recommended! A warning though...it's addictive! :D Happy weekend. xox

      Delete
  7. Hi. Glad you got the taxes thing sorted out quickly. Thank you for the Havest Moon deal the other day. I purchased it and can't wait to start it. My Ravelry name is BW117. It's been so hot here in the UK I'm hoping the weather forecast is right and we get some rain and it cools down. Anyway, hope you have a lovely weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely sympathise with you concerning the heat. I'm dreading our approaching Summer. Hope you have a lovely rainy cool weekend. xx

      Delete
  8. I love the way you write,very uplifting even is life is a struggle sometime! I have already bought Harvest Moon and Letitia's garden...looking forward to my two new adventures!! Wishing you a lovely blessed week!πŸ’•⚘⚘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At heart I am an incorrigible optimist. :D Aw, well if your name pops up for the random draw you'll have the option to request another pattern, ok? :D

      Delete
  9. Hallo Jen. So glad you sorted mr tax out! Thank you so much Jen. Downloaded my Harvest Moon. Ready to start. Travelled in this icy wind early this morning to get my yarn. Blessings for a great weekend. Stay safe + God BlessπŸ™❤ julistry ravelry name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you managed to get some yarn, and in the icy wind too. Just goes to show how yarn mad we all are. LOL! Happy weekend, Juli! :D xx

      Delete
  10. Thank you Jen for all your beautiful world. I enjoy to begin the Harvest Moon. I wish you a nice week end . BΓ©atrice
    Ravelry name: Beajaquier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Beatrice! I'm looking forward to seeing your colourways. I know you will do something magical as always! Happy weekend! xox

      Delete
  11. Oh my, that hot chocolate sounds divine! It’s summer here right now, so I’ll have to wait to give it a go. I jumped on the deal for Harvest Moon the other day and can’t wait to open Ravelry later to see it in all of its glory. Ravelry kimmi2u

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great Kim! I know it's so hot in your part of the world right now but Part 1 is only 12" x 12" so not too big to handle as a summer quick hook? :D Hope some cool weather settles in soon. :D xx

      Delete
  12. I have been away from crochet and happened upon this lovely. I think that today is coffee and crochet. Ravelry: Cherepikr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a PERFECT day to me! :D Happy weekend! xox

      Delete
  13. I snapped up Harvest Moon with your launch special and am looking forward to receiving the extension in September as well. I just love your patterns! Letitia's Garden is one I have had my eye on as well, just gorgeous. Have a great day! Ravelry id pattyks44

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support, Patty! Much appreciated. Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  14. Absolutely love all of your patterns.. i missed the deal on Harvest Moon by a day but still purchased it and can’t wait to see it completed.. Ravelry: RinaAlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully all my patterns are dirt cheap ( or I'd be in tax jail! :D ).Feel free to share your work on our lovely group.We love making a fuss! :D Happy weekend. xx

      Delete
  15. It's hot in this side of the world so I love reading about the chill and dreaming of our own winter coming. I'll have to save the chocolate recipe for a few months!
    My Ravelry name is mama2moody
    I don't have Harvest Moon yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had all the money in the world I would travel from Winter to Winter. I'm not looking forward to Summer. That hot chocolate recipe is DIVINE!! :D xx

      Delete
  16. OMG, I got an email from Ravelry this morning saying I had received a pattern from Hook n Tales. I was so surprised. Thanks for the lovely gift Jen. I will play with yarn today. Hugs and wishes a little cocoa will help with the taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy the pattern! Happy weekend, Lynn. :D xx

      Delete
  17. I have a tuxedo cat, Archie, who takes very seriously his obligation to prevent bed making!

    Thank you so much for my Ravelry surprise today. My Ravelry name is meezermeowmy (which is to say Siamese cat mommy).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jen, I love reading your blogs, always fun.
    Just about finished with my Chrysalis and I will start another! This is my favorite!
    My Ravelry name is GGma Chivers.
    It is a hot monsoon season here in Arizona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the rain is bringing some nice coolness to your spot. It's been super hot I know! Hope you have a lovely weekend. xx

      Delete
  19. Hi Jen, I'm still in the world of summer, but your recipe sounds so lovely that I will store it away for a cold, cozy day to come. I recently discovered your patterns and joined your FB group online. I'm hoping to purchase a few to work through during the Fall. Becoming a taxpaying designer must have been a shock. I'm not sure how that works with online sales myself, but I'm glad you have got it all sorted out. :) May you have peace today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It certainly took the wind out of my sails for a second or a week! :D I don't want to think of my crochet as a "business" so it's been pretty weird for me. The way I think about it now is that I'm donating to the government. LOL! :D Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  20. Dear Jen, I am just loving being part of this group and am almost finished my Chrysalis. I have also purchased the Harvest Moon pattern and look forward to playing around with that and seeing what I can do with it. i.e. join squares to make a craft bag. Such fun! My ravelry name is MaisieMade .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see all the colourways! Look out for Part 2 in your Rav library soon. :D xx

      Delete
  21. Jen I love all your patterns! People are always asking,"what can I make with all my scrap yarn?" I always tell them to check out your patterns, they make scraps turn into works of art! I am Nantucit on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally into scrap yarn projects and you're right, the patterns are perfect, especially the smaller blocks. Happy weekend! xx

      Delete
  22. Oohhh taxes!! Don't start hahaha
    I am my own boss so I know all about that.
    Just saw the Harvest Moon is on so I keep my awnser short and go make a start.. (my wips have to wait hahah)

    Have a lovely weekend!
    Xx Chantalzwart (ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your patterns are beautiful!
    I'm glad you got your taxes all straightened out. I am married to a tax man, so I hear all kinds of stories similar to yours, just from the other side. LOL
    I'm Bahrbie on ravelry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait to try that hot cocoa recipe! Thanks for sharing, and for the wonderful surprise in my inbox this morning (the Harvest Moon square). I totally missed the BOGO last week so I'll have to start being more attentive to your posts!

    In the meantime, love the throw. I'm gnomesnow on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mamaj415 Lovely to read your blog as always Jen. Got the Harvest Moon square but haven't wait to start it and finish the other two of your patterns I am working on! Stay safe and well. Julie-Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jen , I am addicted to your patterns again . How good are you at thinking it up to us and conveying it via YouTube to me who can't speak English. Years ago I got a beautiful necklace from you. My old bear has it on . I wish you a nice weekend , love Tanja . my ravelry name is Tanja1961

    ReplyDelete
  27. you promised to share the story of the name behind the harvest block in this blog post but i suppose your tax scare takes priority here 🀣 glad you got that under control but i will still wait for the story next friday 😍
    ravelry: DaliaAdel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right, Dalia! Honestly, I have not been able to think straight since then! LOL!!

      Delete
  28. We're on the other side - it's hot hot summer here.
    I purchased the Harvest Moon block in the early special. Haven't had time to start it yet though.
    You have a beautiful kitty kat. I am missing my girl as we couldn't do anything more for her and she was really hurting. My arms are empty. So I'm filling them with crochet. <3
    RobWillson

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my dear! What a busy productive time! Glad you are well😊 I have not gotten that gorgeous pattern.... Yet I'm chaniflynn on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  30. All of your designs are gorgeous! Thank you for the sales and specials, have a good weekend. it's Summer where I am, and warm, but chocolate has no season!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your patterns continue to aw, the cocoa sounds like my recipe- ex turmeric, but given it is 90+ degrees where i am at, neither a large project or cocoa are in order. Regarding taxes, i tell my clients, “taxes are good, that means you made money” have a great evening. Ravelry id: lcowan

    (I seem to have difficulties posting here, so if you get this like three times - it means i am squandering away my time. Yeesh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about the commenting glitch! It seems to affect a few users but I'm grateful you managed. It's not anything to do with Blogger but often a setting or firewall on a device ( smartphones, iPads and so on ). xx

      Delete
  32. Your patterns are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your talents.
    Revelry ID: MariaParrishOtt

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've just found you and your work is beautiful. I'm planning blanket with blocks and Harvest Moon might work perfectly! Enjoy your birthday month. Ravelry ID: SailorsSD

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ooooh no - that sounds like a terrible ordeal!! Haven't started my Harvest Moon yet as i'm TERRIBLE at choosing colours and too skint to get it wrong! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have bought several patterns from Raverly. You sent me a message on FB that I shared them with others on You Tube. I have never shared anything on You Tube and my settings are set on private. If anything was shared I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I bought this pattern that gave links to the YouTube videos, but none of the links are working and I'm already stuck on Round 5...help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I bought the pattern on Ralvery and in the pattern are the video links, but it's saying those links don't work. I really need to watch a video for some of these rounds

    ReplyDelete