Monday 31 December 2018

Rounding up 2018!

Hello, Lovelies!
Hope you are all well and happy in your patch of Crochetland?


Oh, my goodness, it's been one incredible year for me. At one point, early on, there was so much excitement whizzing around inside of me that I felt I'd glugged down an entire bottle of Frobskottle!



All to do with Scheepjes Yarns contacting me to ask if I'd be willing to collaborate! Um, yaaaaha,  yes, oh, YES, OH, YES I would indeed, and THANK YOU very much! 😂 Then Scheepjes sent me THAT wall of Yarn...seriously what you see on those shelves was just the half of it! Do you remember how crazy excited I was? I still pinch myself.








With the buzz still bubbling inside of me, I was contacted by a UK Publishing company to work on a book but I was so full of Scheepjes Frobskottle that I couldn't actually answer them in anything but goo, goo, ga, ga, ga's. To this day! Sometimes all your wishes come true, all at once, and all on a Tuesday. In future, I'll try to wish upon a star but only every six months or so.

Clearly long overdue, I started a Group and had great fun choosing fabulous Admins to help me help YOU. It's called the Hooks'Tales Pattern Workshops. If you need any help with my patterns or want to show us your progress or finished pieces then do please scoot on over and join us. We'd love to see you there! Just click the link to take you directly there.

Finally  I opened an INSTAGRAM account! I'm cool now, officially. Although not totally cool seeing as I'm still treating IG as an old-style photo-album, just throwing in images willy-nilly. I troll my IG heroes, noticing how careful and creative they are with their compositions and colour profiles. WOW. GOALS! Much!! I am "following" some fabulous Creators so please feel free to troll my IG! 😃

Between all this excitement, L.I.F.E meandered its way through it all... as it invariably does. My eldest son returned home ( yay ) from a six-month work stint in New York, USA and moved into our little rental cottage next door while he got himself settled back in Cape Town. Then there was Kai! Remember Kai? Kai eventually attended Puppy Playschool and became A Very Good Boy! A few months later my son and Kai moved to a new house closer to work and Kai's Puppy Playschool so it's been very quiet next door, until last weekend!


My youngest son moved in with his longtime GF, their three adorable rescued Rats, a rescued Albino Hedgehog, and a rescued Tortoise!  So far, this is child #3 passing through the rental cottage! The thing is, it is adorable and perfect for a young couple who, so far, have ticked all the "perfect tenants" boxes. They may also have unintentionally become Sooty's ( aka Beghara, Mr. Parker, Blackie ) next cuddle dash snack bar seeing as he's not yet settled on one family in our road but takes turns being everyone's favourite feral. I am happy to report that he's been fully vetted, neutered and had two minor operations, all for gratis, courtesy of our local Vet! As you can see he is purrrfectly at home in my little studio.



We also acquired a new rescue kitty called Nisha-Li. Not technically a rescue but taken over from her owner who emigrated to the UK. Like all fur-babies who have lost their loving families she really took it very badly. Nothing more heart wrenching than watching an Animal mourn!  She lost weight, she lost her purr! It's been a long road but with oodles of TLC she is finally happy again although still not quite sure of our little dog Roxy ( who is very good around Cats).  She is also skittish with Augusta and chases poor ol' Sooty when he pops in for a visit. I'm sure the situation will settle down given some patience and time.



Renovations inside and outside of our almost 117-year-old house continued throughout the year but we have definitely progressed and the house is taking on a shape and feel that is pleasing and comfortable to us. I enjoy it now more than I have in many a year gone past. I've realised how important it is to make your house a home and a sanctuary, a buffer against the harshness of urban living. It seems the more comfortable I feel in my home, and in my garden, the less I am bothered by the noises of urban living....trucks, traffic, sirens, noisy neighbours! For a long time, I didn't want to invest further in our home. I wanted to flee into the country! Just get away from it all.

Then, very early one morning, I was lying in bed listening to the myriad birds we have chattering, chirping and flitting about our neighbourhood hedges and I thought " you know what! If they can adjust, if they can be so happy regardless of all the hustle, bustle and noise, then so can I" and just like that, everything changed. If you can't change your situation then change your attitude to it....really worked for me! This is my biggest takeaway from 2018. I didn't go into the new year with any resolutions or a power word but I knew I needed to deal with the issues of urban living and really threw myself into analysing the pro's and con's of city life v country life. I feel a weight has been lifted since I made the decision to embrace urban life and see it's potential and gifts. I bought a birdbath and perched it outside my studio window...this makes me SO HAPPY!!



Of course, there was also CROCHET and PATTERNS!

I started off the year with My African Valentino.


Followed by the Let It Rain Blanket Wrap.


Then Equinox!


Next was Wildflower! . I was amazed at all your amazing colourways!!



After that, another cushion block, FynBos-Protea....



...which evolved into the FynBos BoHo Throw!



I needed a smaller project after that and also a Beanie! Tadaaa, the Cape Agulhas Fisherman's Beanie!


... and finally, continuing my Scheepjes Stone Washed XL crush... the Port Isaac Reversible Bathroom Mat! A big nod to my favourite series on Netflix, Doc Martin! I use this daily in my own shower room! I LOVE IT! It's really the perfect, lush and squishy bathroom mat! I have enjoyed all the Scheepjes yarns I've worked with this year and my plan is to continue exploring the many gorgeous yarns they produce.


Between all the patterns I and my lovely Admins, also ran a few really fun Giveaways, our last one being the SILLY QUESTIONS 12-DAYS OF CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY! Sometimes I wonder if I crochet just so that I can do Giveaways...they are always such fun and make me so happy, because I know they also make you happy. Win-Win right?

What do I have in store for 2019? Well, there is one pattern on the hook as we speak...just a little something to ease us into the New Year and then...well, I'll just have to see where the hook takes me. Definitely another Mystery-Along...I do love a good mystery!😍

Just FYI before I go. I have "retired" seven of the older patterns because they really do need a rework after which I will re-release them but with videos this time, and extra bits, in 2019. So watch this space for updates! 😊 On Ravelry, you will find them with this Officially Retired sticker.


And so, dear Friends, may the New Year bring you much joy, continual prosperity, lasting peace, bags of creativity oodles of inspiration, and many many happy hours of crochet. May your hook be busy and your yarn basket ever full. Take care out there!

Much love, always.
Jen xx




16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful year it has been.Im so very happy to have been along on the Hooks'nTales creative journey and I'm looking forward to all of the fun and fabulous designs of 2019.Thanks Jen for sharing your lovely tales and fantastic designs with us all Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to you too, Noelene! Our Group would not be the lovely place it is without your positive, encouraging and creative contributions! All the best for 2019. See you next year! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jen and team. Congratulations on your wonderful patterns. I send you all my very best wishes for next year! Take care🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and Happy New Year, Sharon! See you in Crochetland! :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to a Mystery a-long,have a grandson who is anxious for a 'blankie'!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely planning one for our Winter months ( June to August ). :-) Happy New Year, Jean. xx

      Delete
  5. Loved the journey with you Jen. And your sweetheart Noelene and other "hooky " ladies.Hug Tineke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to have you on our Group, Tineke! Really do appreciate all your positive and encouraging comments. Happy New Year to you! :-) xx

      Delete
  6. What an amazing year you have had! So many events, yet you did so many incredible new designs! I’m so grateful that I happened upon your designs when I was looking for some kind of creative outlet. When I saw your patterns, I knew I had to make them. Now I’m obsessed with crochet and I feel so much happier with life in general. I not only started to crochet, I found a wonderful group of friends from all over the world. I love doing my crochet with your videos because I feel like we are doing it together. When I need extra help with something I can always go to Hooks n tales and I know my good friend Noelene Sampey is going to be there to help me. There are so many wonderful “hookers” in our group and it’s wonderful to be able to share our experiences. Thanks for your beautiful designs and for the joy you have brought to my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been lovely getting to know you, Theresa! Wishing you an exceptionally lovely new year, filled with creativity, joy, health and prosperity! xox

      Delete
  7. thanks Jen for your wonderful patterns all others seem so tame now , you have spoiled us .Now I need a shawl pattern that is almost as involved as Wildflower[my favourite so far] Have a wonderful upcoming 2019 and may your creative juices flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christine! Happy New Year! :-) xx

      Delete
  8. Thankyou Jen for being so creative and willing to share your wonderful gift with us. I absolutely live your designs and am wanting to do them all. Loved the Karoo journey and really look forward to the next one. I started another pattern recently which was a repeated square but I got bored with it so am incorporating your squares into the blanket to add some texture. Have done Amanzi so far and love it. Fynbos next. Using scheepjes whirl and they come up a treat. I love their yarns too. Looking forward to another journey with you in 2019. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo, I'm hoping to offer some creative fun pieces this year...not sure what yet! :D Wishing you a very happy 2019! xox

      Delete
  9. Access to computers and other control systems which might provide you with information about the way the world revolves around technology should be unlimited and total. All information should be free and accessible to all. Seeing how you are being monitored by most of these tech companies. And also needing cyber help in many areas of your day to day activities, we at INTEGRATEDHACKS have come come up with a team of highly motivated and dedicated hackers to help you get access to information you are being deprived of and also protect you when necessary. Our services include and are not limited to hacking of social media accounts,email accounts, tracking of phones hacking of bank cards and many more.
    Have you ever been hacked? Need to recover your stolen account, Want to monitor your kids,spouse or partner, Change your school results, track messages from an email or mobile number, secure your email accounts, phones, bank accounts and many more, INTEGRATEDHACKS is the one for you. Hundreds of our clients have their jobs done consistently and efficiently in no time. Our professional hackers for hire team is highly qualified and can hack anything or device you desire without giving the target any form of notification which makes us one of the best.
       Are you having doubts about your partner ? Worry no more. All your doubts would be cleared.


    ★ Contact Us today For Your Desired Hacking services via : integratedhacks@protonmail.com and experience cyber hacking like never before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jen I am trying to find the pattern for your beautiful Snowdrops and Butterflies square. There doesn't seem to be a link to the pattern, only to a video tutorial. Please can you help? Thank you!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete