Saturday 10 June 2017

The Little Phoenix Square



As many of you may already know, this first week in June has been marked by some devastating natural disasters here in my beloved Western Cape Province. We needed the rain, so much, and when it came it came with bells! The weather services issued a warning that we should brace ourselves for " the worst storm in 40 years!". That's a big statement considering this is The Cape of Storms! Then, just as we were seeing the tail end of this, the gale force winds, doing their job of blowing the clouds to where they are needed, also helped to fan devastating, unprecedented wildfires in beautiful Knysna. It has been in the international news so I won't go into all the details here. Besides, my heart is still ripped to pieces. As is usual for me in times of crisis, I crochet.




I wanted to make a simple " no think / just feel"  little square (only six rounds! ) that would represent hope,  life and all good things that will spring forth from the ashes of Knysna. Even writing this I am in tears. Lives were lost, fauna and flora decimated!! Some pain cannot be expressed adequately in words alone. What has filled me with so much love and pride for my fellow South Africans, is that even through all the turmoil and uncertainty we are experiencing in our country right now, the outpouring of deep compassion and generosity has renewed my hope in humanity, has revived our faith and trust in one another. I was reminded, again, of why I have such a deep and abiding love for this country, and it's people. Don't get too excited, or be too disappointed... this is not a very original square.








💗 Jen

PS: you can find the FREE pattern HERE.






12 comments:

  1. My heart is so sad for all the tragedy and heartbreak that is happening in South Africa of late. Sending out thoughts and prayers of help and healing. You are such a beautiful soul, Jen, and so talented too. I appreciate and admire you more than you know. Hugs. Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Nancy, for your kind words, which have truly brought some warmth and healing to my heart. xox

      Delete
  2. God Bless you and keep you and your loved ones safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and to you and yours too! xx It's times like these where our hearts are broken that I'm more aware than ever how even the smallest kindness becomes the glue that pieces all the broken bits together again.

      Delete
  3. Jen, I hope everything is fine now in your corner of the world. Nature can be horrific and bone-chilling when it leashes its power to the fullest.
    As for the square - my word! You have used the most beautiful of color schemes for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, dear Maya! All seems to have settled with the rains finally arriving. It has been incredibly heartwarming to see the outpouring of love and support. Knysna is a tight-knit community and they will rise from this, just like the phoenix. I'm hoping to finish the entire blanket soon. It will always remind me of the power Mother Nature can wield, but also, that love and compassion breathe life back into everything. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fiddlesticks, it says the pattern has been put in the bin by owner. Is there any way to get this pattern now? It's perfect for my grandaughter's room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What happened to this pattern??? I love it and was working on a blanket and took a hiatus and when I went back to refresh my memory- gone? File says it's in the trash?! I hope you repost- its an awesome square and tribute

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ur squares are wonderful i tried to download it but stated trashed. I would love to have this in my patterns. If u plz. Ms. Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This says trashed. Please help

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has this been retired? I was hoping to make this beautiful square into something special.... Please bring it back!!

    ReplyDelete