Monday 20 February 2017

The Birkenhead Beach Comber Bag!




Hi, Everyone! Wow, it's been so crazy (in a lovely way) all the interest in my little squares! It's a thrilling feeling to LOVE what you do, and then find out others love them too! Thank you!

I have some exciting news! The Colourful CAL's /KAL's projects Group on Ravelry have organised a CAL...for my squares! I confess that this has made me in equal parts VERY excited, yet terrified! Suddenly my squares will be scrutinised from all angles to see exactly how "useful" they are in various projects. Well. I did design them for "projects" in mind. I'm not sure what sort of projects, but you know. PROJECTS! I am 100% confident that everyone who has ( and will still ) join the CAL are going to surprise my socks off! I CAN'T WAIT! I'M SO EXCITED. Yes. I know I keep saying that but 1 MAY does seem so far away when you're anticipating surprises and pleasant ones at that.




Anyhow, because I have an excitement Ants in my Pants sort of energy. I decided to just get stuck in and "create" an actual useful object from one of my squares. For ages, I've been wanting to make a little bag I can take to the beach because, in reality, I am a Magpie. Oh, my hooks, I can't stop myself! I have COLLECTIONS, people! Twigs, sea glass, crockery shards, small stones, large stones, river stones, mountain top stones, stones from places we've visited. Then there's old bottles and shells, and bits of lace, dried petals and teacups, biscuit tins...! 😃



I thought I'd use The Birkenhead Square to make this little Beach Combers bag because of its suitable nautical theme.




  1.  I added an extra round of DC's to increase it's size a little. 
  2. Then I used a Flat Braid technique to join 2 ends together.
  3. Laying out the 2 joined squares, I hand-sewed in a polyester waterproof lining. I added an inner pouch to the lining as well, for smaller collectables. I left two small sections open to add the rope handle.
  4. Then I joined the sides together using the Flat Braid technique.
  5. Then the rope strap was attached. I hand-sewed it in, between the square and the lining, making sure to go through the rope as well as around it to make sure it was well secured.
  6. I made 2 little Puff flowers ( 6 x Puffs into a Magic Ring ) and attached them to the outside spot where the rope strap was sewn in. Just to finish off this part neatly.
  7. Finally, I made tassels ( 6 x strands of yarn measuring 8" or 21cm, doubled over and attached slip knot style to the bottom Braids. 12 in all. ). 
  8. Then I trimmed the tassels and went to the beach to collect something! 😎


I might add that trying to take a pic of this bag, on my person was challenging! 😃

I hope you join our fun CAL, and that my little bag has given you some big inspiration? 


See you there! 
💓 Jen

5 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, I realy love this bag! Maybe one day I will learn to line something like this. I still have an African Flower bag somewhere in a drawer. Completely finished, but without lining, so useless in the end... This looks a lot better! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! :-) Lining a bag is easy! :D But it is easier when you sew in the lining before joining the squares. I would love to see your African flower bag. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen - I've just come across your blog and it's AMAZING! Can't believe I haven't found it before and I'm really looking forward to having a proper read!
    Love your patterns, love your colour choices. Just LOVE it!
    Thank you!!

    Tina 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina! O,h thank you so much! I've been a bit absent here this March but only because I've been working on the new BIG square! It's at my three lovely Testers now. But please, join us all on the FACEBOOK page? I'm on there ALL THE TIME! :D Just click on the big F in the left sidebar and it will take you straight there. :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Jen.
    I came across your patterns in Ravelry. They are amazing!
    I want to try this pattern before I purchase other patterns to see if I can follow your instructions. I have never crocheted anything so intricate like your design so I am a little intimidated. Ravelry link points to here, but I can't find a pattern here either.
    Could you kindly point me to the pattern please?
    My goal is to make Karoo vintage throw for myself. It's so beautiful.
    Thank you very much,
    Jan.

    ReplyDelete