Wednesday 10 August 2016

My tadaaa moment!




Well, yesterday was really a special day. First, it was Women's Day. Women's Day is celebrated in South Africa on August 9. There is history ( her-story ) behind this date. In 1956, 20 000 women walked to The Union Buildings ( which is where our country is administered from...you know, where the big guns live ) to peacefully protest the Pass system. This is still an important public holiday in South Africa and women from all over this country find ways to celebrate it. You don't need to look far to see exactly how I celebrate any free time.

My husband was at home for the day. The weather was LOVELY! Perfect in fact. I had in mind a day of unadulterated hooky but no. By 10am we were showered, dressed and breakfasted and on our way out to enjoy the day starting off at our * top secret*  coffee shop, who serve my favourite pecan nut cookies ( I ate four... and they are HUGE ), also, the best coffee this side of the equator. After which , filled to bursting we trundled along the catwalk between Muizenburg and Kalk Bay, jumping off the path every now and again to collect a pretty shell, or pebble. My husband's eyes are incredibly good. He always picks up or spots the best treasures! But nevermind about all that! More importantly!! I finished my Frida's Flowers CAL! Typically late, because I kept getting involved with hooky on the side. But yes, it's all done and dusted. And then, well I was SO PLEASED with my efforts of four months, I really wanted to post it somewhere, anywhere...you know those "look at what I've made! ". moments! So I posted one pic to The Official CCC Social Group. My, let me say one thing, those Ladies are so generous with their compliments boy, I was hot all over with the pleased-as-punch blushing! Wow, I can learn a thing or two from them about how to make a gal feel FANTASTIC! If any of you lovely Ladies are reading this then know, YOU MADE MY YEAR!! Thank you!


Here I have it pinned to my bed because we replaced all our carpets in the house with stone tiles. Now I don't have anywhere big enough to block larger projects. This worked fine. I made sure to count the pins though! :D

Wanting a good blocking! I sewed all the pieces together. I'm not sure why because I could have done a seamless single crochet. I'm sure I had a good reason at the time, which has slipped my mind now. And, tadaaaa! There it is. I'm not sure where it will end up, but I do know I can't part with it.





Thank you to the crochet fairies who always whisper encouraging words into my ear when I feel I just can't hook another stitch! Isn't it just the best feeling to finish off a project and be well pleased with it too?

Hope wherever you are in the world that you always find ample time to play hooky!

Love, always!





8 comments:

  1. Your blanket is so very beautiful.. I don't know how you did it but I love the colors and the patterns. With love Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Janice! I loved making this and the CAL was beautifully laid out and very easy to follow. The colours are my usual go to picks. Perhaps I need to be a bit more adventurous with my choices! :D x

      Delete
  2. Your colour combination is STUNNING & im desperately trying to replicate it which is proving challenging, do you happen to remember what brand/s of yarn & colours you used?? Thank you, Mandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! :D I used Elle Yarns Family Knit DK. The colours are: Snowmoon, Lemon, Coral, Duck Egg, Aran,Gravel, Skintone ( a pale pinky colour ) and Soft Lime.x

      Delete
  3. Hi Jen! I just love the colors you used in this blanket. I noticed that the original pattern uses 12 different colors. Can you tell me which color you substituted for what color and how many balls you used for each? Thank you so much! BTW, am Belgian but have lived in the US for 26 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!Thank you! :-) I didn't specifically substitute one colour for another I just chose my own palette.:) If you look up in the comments, I do give a list of the colours I used. I live in South Africa, and used the Elle Yarns Family Knit DK acrylic, so not sure if those colours are available in the USA. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is beautiful. Would love the patterns please. I needed a new project and when I logged in on Pinterest I was just loving this afghan.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla! :-) The pattern is free and it's designed by Jane Crowfoot. It's called Frida's Flowers. The crochet-along was hosted by Stylecraft Yarns and you can find the pattern on their website. It's a lovely pattern so I hope you try it! xx If you look here on my blog,in the left sidebar under Crochet along the link to Fridas Flowers is there too. :-)

      Delete