Tuesday 19 May 2015

Banana, Kale and Sunflower Seed Loaf.

Sometimes my meanderings lead me to the kitchen. Not to make the prerequisite breakfast or dinner but rather something a little more enticing. For me 'something naughty' is anything with sugar! This recipe uses 3/4 cup of brown sugar because, of course, the bananas are sweet too!


Nevertheless I still feel guilty ( I need therapy ) so I start scouting around the kitchen cupboards to see what I can find that will add to the nutritional density of  'the treat'. Which makes me wonder if it's still a treat then? Anyhow, no point in going all analysing Virgo on everyone...so, onto the recipe ( which I usually make up as I go along ). I'm always as surprised as anyone else when my experiments turn out as palatable as they do! If anything it smells absolutely scrumptious while it's in the oven. Our neighbour poked his head over the wall to ask what was baking! Hahahaha...he's usually quite a grumpy sod.



Banana, Kale and Sunflower Seed Loaf

Pre-heat oven: 360f / 180c
Line a regular loaf tin with baking paper ( not necessary, but makes it dead easy to get the loaf out.)

Wet Ingredients
3-4 ripe bananas ( they don't have to be super ripe but the riper ones are sweeter )
1 cup rice milk ( or any milk of your choice )
3/4 cup sunflower oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus the zest of one lemon.
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup packed Kale or Spinach ( if you don't have Kale )

Add all the ingredients to your food processor and blend well...

Dry Ingredients
2 and 1/4 cups white bread flour ( I use Eureka Mills stone ground flour )
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Using a whisk gently blend all your Dry Ingredients together

Now combine the ingredients and stir well...until you don't see floury patches. I like to stir, in loopy motions, imagining I'm incorporating air into my mix! :-)

Pour into your loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife or skewer comes out dry.
Remove from oven and allow to stand in loaf tin until it's somewhat cooler then gently transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with anything sweet, or savoury...or just on its own with coffee ( like I did ).This is a great way to get in some extra nutrients, don't you think? :D



No comments:

Post a Comment